[pccgrads] Aronyczyk (Rutgers) on "How fake news, political spin and corporate PR can make us care about climate change." Wed Oct 24 at 3pm

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Wed Oct 17 10:18:34 PDT 2018

> Communications is hosting Melissa Aronyczyk (Rutgers), who will be giving

> the Stice

lecture on October 24 at 3 pm.

> The title of her talk is "How fake news, political spin and corporate PR

> can make us care about climate change."

Abstract: The scientific facts around climate change and widespread expert
consensus about its causes are not reflected in political outcomes or
public opinion in the United States. Media coverage appears to reinforce
political polarization and apathy rather than giving viewers reasons to
care and ways to translate that care into action. Perhaps more troubling
still, the sheer volume of “sponsored” communication by powerful interests
seems to have overflowed onto public platforms and muddied the waters.

In this talk, Dr. Aronczyk examines some of our deeply held assumptions
about the role of strategic communication in the making of public
knowledge. If one legacy of the “fake news” panic has been the seeding of
distrust and cynicism towards media more generally, she proposes that this
cynicism can be redirected by learning to recognize the common concerns
underlying the political spin and promotional rhetoric.
Details, including the abstract, room information, and link to reserve
your seat, can be found here
<http://www.com.washington.edu/2018/10/2018-stice-lecture-how-fake-news-political-spin-and-corporate-pr-can-make-us-care-about-climate-change/>
.