[pccgrads] Fwd: Alaska opportunities for science & science education students

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Mon Nov 26 15:46:02 PST 2018

*Opportunities in Kachemak Bay, Alaska*

*Environmental Education Jobs and Internships (spring & summer 2019) with
the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies:*
Do you enjoy getting people excited about our natural world? As an
Environmental Educator, Naturalist, or Intern with the Center for Alaskan
Coastal Studies, you’ll have the opportunity to share your energy and
enthusiasm by leading educational programs for children, school groups, and
visitors to Alaska. As a non-profit environmental education and
stewardship organization, the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies’ mission
is to foster responsible interaction with our natural surroundings and to
generate knowledge of the unique ecosystems of Kachemak Bay. Our seasonal
staff are employed at the Wynn Nature Center (a 140-acre boreal forest
preserve) the semi-remote Peterson Bay Field Station (coastal ecosystems)
and the Yurt on the Spit. Responsibilities vary by position. Check out our
website for more information:
https://www.akcoastalstudies.org/about-us/jobs-volunteers.html

*Alaska Coastal Summer Institute (summer 2019)*
ACSI is built around four core experiences (each about a week in duration)
hosted by local research agencies and community-organizations in the
Kachemak Bay area. These core experiences provide a fun, fascinating, and
highly effective way to learn how scientific knowledge is being built and
used in Kachemak Bay. You will also attain job-related skills in research
design, data collection, analysis, and scientific communication. Plus, you
can grow your professional network and become familiar with a number of the
research agencies working in Kachemak Bay, exploring different career
options and build connections with organizations that offer seasonal
internships, as well as research/graduate school positions! Each core
experience determined by the partner agencies offers students insight into
their most interesting and important research, community-based monitoring,
and science communication work. The cost is approximately $3000, but some
scholarship assistance may be available. For more information, go to
https://www.akcoastalstudies.org/education-programs/alaska-coastal-summer-institute.html

*Semester by the Bay (fall 2019, and new this year, spring 2020)*
Each fall, the Kachemak Bay Campus of Kenai Peninsula College, University
of Alaska Anchorage, located in Homer, Alaska, offers students from around
the country the opportunity for an academic hands-on learning experience
studying biological sciences with easy access to cold-water marine habitats
and an Alaskan theme. The semester has been designed to meet the needs of
students majoring in the natural sciences in a creative and adventurous way.

Kachemak Bay is one of the richest marine estuaries in the world.
Charismatic species such as sea otters, killer and humpback whales, bald
eagles, puffins, jellies, halibut, and salmon utilize the waters and
coastal environments of Kachemak Bay. Students are immersed with these and
other species, such as beluga whales, during hands-on labs, field trips
conducted throughout the semester here in Kachemak Bay and the surrounding
waters of Cook Inlet, and during undergraduate internship opportunities
conducted with our community partners. Check out
http://semesterbythebay.org/ or see the attached flyer.

Shantzbird Scholarship for the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival (spring 2019)

The Shantz Brothers Foundation just announced they will be sending another
student to the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival in Homer, Alaska.
Aplications for the 2019 trip, which takes place May 9-12, are now being
accepted. The application deadline is December 31, 2018. Please click here
for the Scholarship Application
<http://schantzbird.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Scholarship-Application-2018-Update.doc>

*Field Studies for Student Groups at Peterson Bay (spring, summer, fall)*

One of the best parts of my job is to put together unique Alaska Coastal
Ecology educational programs for middle school, high school, and college
student groups from around the state, country, and even world. If you are
interested in bringing a group of students to our remote Peterson Bay Field
Station in spring, summer, or fall, please get in touch. Using
evidence-based teaching methods and immersing students in the amazingly
diverse and complex human-ecological systems of the Kachemak Bay region,
these field study trips can be just a couple days long as part of a longer
trip throughout Alaska, or you can focus your time in Kachemak Bay,
spending over a week at the Field Station. Check out
https://www.akcoastalstudies.org/education-programs/summer-youth-programs/for-groups.html
or the attached brochure for more information.

*Please pass this information on to anyone who you think might be
interested, and get in touch if you have questions!*

Thanks!
Katie

Katie Gavenus
Program Director