[pccgrads] PCC chat with Dail Rowe

Sarah Ragen sragen at uw.edu
Mon Nov 26 12:04:35 PST 2018

Hi all,

This is just a reminder that this conversation is happening tomorrow Tuesday, November the 27th from 12:30-1:30 pm in OSB 425. Come join us for pizza and a chat about what a career outside academia can look like. Hope to see you there!

-------------------------------

Hi PCC grads,

There's a great opportunity to talk to Dail Rowe, who has a PhD in oceanography from URI and is a research scientist studying catastrophic weather for the reinsurance industry. If you aren't sure what a career outside of academia could look like but are interested in learning more, I recommend that you come! Also, there will bepizza!
This event will take place on November 27th from 12:30 - 1:30 pm in the Ocean Sciences Building room 425.

Here is a description of who Dail is:
I am a catastrophic weather risk scientist working in the reinsurance industry. My wife and I are visiting Seattle for the next 6 months: she's taking a sabbatical at PMEL, and I am telecommuting. LuAnne Thompson has been kind enough to help me secure a visiting scientist position at UW, and I plan to spend a few days a week at the university. Most of my work is with meteorologic perils, and I specialize in hurricanes. My primary interests are in building models enabling decision makers to understand the risks associated with rare events, and forecasting these events and their impacts. Increasingly, climate variability and change is a consideration in much of what I do.

Best,
Sarah

SARAH RAGEN

UW SCHOOL OF OCEANOGRAPHY