[pccgrads] Fwd: [BevanSeries] Bevan Series: March 8, 2018 — Liz Neeley

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Mon Mar 5 09:23:15 PST 2018

One story tells the tale of overexploitation, ecosystem destruction and an
industry bent on short-term profit over long-term stewardship. The other
showcases well-managed fisheries delivering products that are healthier and
more sustainable than land-based animal protein. Which story do you choose?
And how can you weave your own work into the next installment?

Join us *Thursday at 4:30 p.m. in the Fishery Auditorium* for the final
installment of the Winter 2018 Bevan Series on Sustainable Fisheries
<https://fish.uw.edu/news-events/seminar-series/bevan-series/> as Story
Collider <https://www.storycollider.org> Executive Director Liz Neeley
<https://fish.uw.edu/news-events/seminar-series/bevan-series/bevan-speakers/#Pattengill>
takes the stage to show us the power, and possibility, of fish tales.

To schedule a meeting with the speaker on Thursday or Friday, email
yaaminiv at uw.edu with your availability.

---
If you missed Dr. William Cheung's talk, you can find it here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQGEOhgWsds&t=0s&index=8&list=PLnaBXrPodS4cT8WjW94zsx9dSDrvzH4XH>
.
---

*Liz Neeley*

*The Story Collider*

*Stories and Sense-Making — How Human Minds Fish for Meaning*

*Abstract*:
In the 2018 Bevan series, speakers grapple with the uncertainties and
complexities of sustainable fisheries in a changing climate. Although we
call it “fisheries management”, it is most frequently the attempt to manage
human beliefs and human behaviors. Fortunately, we have rich theoretical
and empirical foundations for both conceptualizing and approaching these
challenges. We know that data are essential but insufficient on their own.
We know that people make sense of the world around them, and make decisions
about their actions, through narrative. We know that internalized stories
shape policymaking and media frames, as well as influencing technological
innovation, market dynamics, and even the interpretation of new biological
data. The question is, what will we do with this knowledge? This talk will
explore research on storytelling and persuasion, and critically consider
how and why busy fisheries biologists might approach adding something like
“narrative competency” to their repertoire.

*Speaker Biography*:
Liz Neeley is the Executive Director of The Story Collider. In live shows
across the country, a weekly podcast, and intensive workshops, The Story
Collider is dedicated to producing true, personal stories about science.
After a decade of work in ocean conservation and science communication, Liz
wanted to more deeply explore the performance and substance of narratives.

>From 2008 to 2015, she worked as the Assistant Director of Science Outreach

for COMPASS, and was affiliate staff at The University of Washington during
that time. Before that, she worked on locally-managed marine conservation
in Fiji and Papua New Guinea, and on international trade policies for
deep-sea corals. Her approach to communication is influenced by her
graduate research at Boston University on the evolution of visual
communication systems in tropical reef fishes. She was on the advisory
board of the CommLab at MIT 2015-2017, and is currently sits on the
Advisory Council of Ensia magazine, and holds a Lecturer appointment at
Yale University. She is a contributing author to Science Blogging: The
Essential Guide (2016), Effective Risk Communication (2015), and Escape

>From the Ivory Tower (2010). Find her on twitter at @LizNeeley.

Best,
Yaamini Venkataraman
Graduate Student, Roberts Lab