[pccgrads] Dagon on "Reducing Uncertainty in Land Surface Models" Today 7/27 at noon in ATG 310

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Fri Jul 27 08:02:59 PDT 2018

Special Seminar, Katie Dagon
WHEN Friday, July 27, 2018, 12 – 1 p.m.
DESCRIPTION

Speaker: Katie Dagon, Research /a
Title: Reducing Uncertainty in Land Surface Models
Location: ATG 310

Land surface models are essential tools for capturing biosphere-atmosphere
processes in the climate system. Many terrestrial parameterizations
including those for vegetation and soils are uncertain or have high
sensitivity to relatively small changes. In this talk I will explore the
role of parameter choices in overall land model sensitivity, using the
latest version of the Community Land Model (CLM). I first explore the
sensitivity of CLM biogeophysical processes to narrow the parameter space.
Using machine learning techniques, I can then estimate CLM parameter values
for sensitive quantities and apply the results to simulations of future
climate.
CAMPUS LOCATION Atmospheric Sciences-Geophysics Building (ATG)
<http://www.washington.edu/maps/?ATG>
CAMPUS ROOM 310