[pccgrads] Fw: FEPPS: Opportunity to Teach Science in Prison!

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:08:13 PDT 2018

Hello there!

On behalf of the students incarcerated at Washington Correctional Center
for Women, I would love to invite you and your network to come teach for
FEPPS!
[image: Inline image 1]

*Make a Change in Your Own Environment:*

*Teach in Prison*

Freedom Education Project Puget Sound is seeking volunteers to teach at the
Washington Corrections Center for Women in Gig Harbor, Washington. This
volunteer would instruct a class of 15 – 25 students. And, we

want to pay you to share your knowledge and your time!

*When*: October 1st - December 20th

*Courses we can offer this fall:*

* - OCEA& 101
<http://www.curricunet.com/Tacoma/reports/course_outline_html.cfm?courses_id=1897>:
Introduction to Oceanography- BIOL& 175:
<http://www.curricunet.com/Tacoma/reports/course_outline_html.cfm?courses_id=1886>
Human
Biology- BIOL& 160:
<http://www.curricunet.com/Tacoma/reports/course_outline_html.cfm?courses_id=3109>Introduction
to Cellular and Molecular Biology*
- *ENVS& 101:
<http://www.curricunet.com/Tacoma/reports/course_outline_html.cfm?courses_id=1890>
Introduction
to Environmental Science*

*Key Responsibilities*

- Teach once or twice a week at WCCW. 9601 Bujacich Rd NW, Gig Harbor,
WA 98332.
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Washington+Corrections+Center+For+Women/@47.3474014,-122.6131402,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xb31cfe6b1e1f6d89?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFodLK1o3QAhXov1QKHR02CMgQ_BIIdDAK>
- Communicate classroom and student needs with FEPPS program
coordinator.
- Work with FEPPS program coordinator to evaluate students and place
them into classes next semester.

*Qualifications*

- MUST have a master's degree or be in a PhD program, and have
experience teaching the course they would like to offer.
- Strongly believes in the benefit of providing a rigorous college
education to the women incarcerated at the Washington Corrections Center
for Women.

*Requirements*

- Must attend a Department of Corrections volunteer training. Offered
once a month.
- Must be able to provide *your own transportation* to and from the
prison.
- Must commit to teaching the entire 11 week term.
- Must be able to pick from following times to teach: 9:3 0 – 11:20,
1:30 – 3:50 or 6:30 – 8:50. Must get to prison 30 minutes before class
begins.

*Fun facts*

- We welcome and encourage co-teaching between close colleagues and are
happy to connect you with volunteers who could support with facilitating
labs if needed.
- All of these courses have been offered by FEPPS in the past so we have
plenty of materials to share with you. Please let me know if there are any
resources you'd like to see specifically and click here
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pv48ulizb0c10s0/AACOaeoMlLOOzDde7gORjDgwa?dl=0>
do a bit of your own searching around (i.e. lab supply sheets, exams, and
other natural science courses offered by FEPPS).
- More detailed information is attached if you would like to share the
opportunity with anyone in your network (we are ALWAYS grateful when you
share!). FEPPS provides a stipend of $1200 per course to cover travel
costs, acknowledge you for your time and effort, and a coffee now and then.

Please contact zoebrown at fepps.org 206 755 8994 with interest or questions
about the opportunity. Can't teach but know of someone who would be a great
fit, please send this on!

In community,
Zoe

--