[pccgrads] Fwd: [BevanSeries] Bevan Series: February 1, 2018 — Dr. Terrie Klinger

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Mon Jan 29 15:57:16 PST 2018

This year promises to be hot as we explore the effect of a changing climate
on fishery sustainability. What effect does a 3+ year marine heatwave have
on North Pacific fisheries? How does acidification affect shellfish and
finfish sustainability? Who wins, and who loses, in the political wars to
determine who can fish what where? Can our own U.S. congress reauthorize
our Fishery Management Act without major (untoward) alterations? And how
can we, as scientists and citizens, communicate our expertise and opinions
on all of these issues?

Please join us every week on *Thursday at 4:30pm in the Fishery Auditorium*
(reception following). You can find the speaker list at the Bevan Series
website
<https://fish.uw.edu/news-events/seminar-series/bevan-series/bevan-speakers/>
.

This week's speaker is one of our own, Dr. Terrie Klinger. She'll discuss
how ocean acidification affects both finfish and bivalve species. You can
find her talk details below, or at this link
<https://fish.uw.edu/news-events/seminar-series/bevan-series/bevan-speakers/#Lutcavage>
.

---
If you missed Dr. Éva Pláganyi's talk, you can find it here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJIbb_aNORg>.
---

*Terrie Klinger*

*University of Washington, Marine and Environmental Affairs*

*The Climate-Chemistry Connection: Sustaining Fisheries in an Acidified
Ocean*

*Abstract*:
Changes in seawater chemistry associated with ocean acidification affect
fished species through multiple modes of action. Direct modes of action
include the effects of different carbon system variables on critical life
processes such as growth and development and on neurotransmission and
behavior. Indirect modes of action include OA-related changes in the
distribution and abundance of predators and prey and through changes in
food quality. Biological responses to ocean acidification are modified by
changes in other environmental variables, for example temperature and
dissolved oxygen. Bivalve species are among the groups likely to be
affected by near-term ocean acidification and can serve as useful models
for inferring the future of fished species.

*About the Speaker*:
Terrie Klinger is Director of the School of Marine and Environmental
Affairs, Co-Director of the Washington Ocean Acidification Center, and
holds the Stan and Alta Barer Endowed Professorship in Sustainability
Science in honor of Dr. Edward Miles. Trained as a marine ecologist, she
studies ecosystem-based approaches to managing natural resources in the
ocean, the ecological effects of environmental stressors such as habitat
loss and ocean acidification, and how rocky intertidal communities respond
to and recover from disturbance. The Pacific Northwest and the Gulf of
Alaska are her primary study areas. She obtained her Ph.D. in Biological
Oceanography from Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

Best,
Yaamini Venkataraman
Graduate Student, Roberts Lab
School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences