[pccgrads] PCC grads meeting with Prof. John Cook (Founder of Skeptical Science blog)

Michael S Diamond diamond2 at uw.edu
Mon Jan 22 08:46:22 PST 2018

Hi all,

We have an exciting opportunity for any interested PCC graduate students
next week: John Cook (Founder of the Skeptical Science blog and Asst. Prof.
at the Center for Climate Change Communication at George Mason University)
will be visiting to give a special seminar at 1:30 - 2:20 PM in ATG 310,
and will meet with a group of graduate students afterward in *ATG 406 from
2:30 - 3:30 PM*. Please let me (diamond2 at uw.edu) and Paige (pdlogan at uw.edu)
know if you're interested in attending the graduate student meeting. If
interest exceeds the capacity of ATG 406, we'll try for a larger room.

John sent CC a note about one of his projects that we was hoping to speak
with us about: "One thing I was hoping to talk to your group about was one
of our current research: using machine learning to automatically detect
climate misinformation. If successful, it would enable us to inoculate the
public against misinformation in real time. Our approach is to read through
tens of thousands of paragraphs from denialist blogs, mapping each
paragraph to a taxonomy of climate myths. It's a large crowd-sourcing job
and requires people with enough climate literacy to understand climate
blogs. We're about 50% of the way through the content analysis - I'm hoping
to find some more climate literate research partners to help get to the end
of the content analysis. Would be happy to explain what we're doing and
answer any questions."

Cheers,
Michael

--