[pccgrads] Bevan Series: Jan. 4, 2018 4:30 p.m. — Dr. Ray Hilborn

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Wed Jan 3 12:51:12 PST 2018

New year, new iteration of the Bevan Series on Sustainable Fisheries!

This year promises to be hot as we explore the *effect of a changing
climate on fishery sustainability*. What effect does a 3+ year marine
heatwave have on North Pacific fisheries? How does acidification affect
shellfish and finish sustainability? Who wins, and who loses, in the
political wars to determine who can fish what where? Can our own U.S.
congress reauthorize our Fishery Management Act without major (untoward)
alterations? And how can we, as scientists and citizens, communicate our
expertise and opinions on all of these issues?

Please join us *every week on Thursday at 4:30pm in the Fishery Auditorium*
(reception following). You can find the speaker list at the Bevan Series
website
<https://fish.uw.edu/news-events/seminar-series/bevan-series/bevan-speakers/>
.

Our first speaker is Ray Hilborn, Professor in the School of Aquatic and
Fishery Sciences, UW. He will be recapping and commenting on his recent
testimony to the U.S. Congress on the reauthorization of Magnuson-Stevens,
and more broadly on whether the voice of a fisheries scientist can be heard
in D.C. given the current political climate. His talk details can be found
below. Don’t miss it!

----------

*Ray Hilborn*

*University of Washington, School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences*

*Is U.S. Fisheries Policy Working? Getting the Message to Congress*

*Abstract*:

The Magnuson-Stevens Fisheries Management and Conservation Act of 1976 is
the primary piece of federal legislation governing fisheries whose
objectives include: exploring, exploiting, conserving, and managing all
fish within the exclusive economic zone; to promote domestic commercial and
recreational fishing under sound conservation and management principles; to
provide for the preparation and implementation, in accordance with national
standards, of fishery management plans which will achieve and maintain, on
a continuing basis, the optimum yield from each fishery; to encourage the
development by the United States fishing industry of fisheries which are
currently underutilized or not utilized by United States fishermen. Optimum
yield is defined the yield from a fishery, means the amount of fish which
will provide the greatest overall benefit to the Nation, particularly with
respect to food production and recreational opportunities, and taking into
account the protection of marine ecosystems.

This talk will focus on how the U.S. is doing with respect to these
objectives, and my perspective on how scientists can let Congress know how
well we are doing, and help Congress make good decisions. I will discuss
the success at rebuilding fish stocks and protection of marine ecosystems,
a mix of success and failure at producing benefits to food production, and
recreational fishing opportunities. I will discuss my limited experiences
at communicating with Congress through invited testimony to House and
Senate committee hearings over 25 years, and two separate briefings of
Congressional staff.

*Speaker Biography*:

Ray Hilborn is a Professor in the School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences,
University of Washington specializing in natural resource management and
conservation. He authored several books including Overfishing: What
Everyone Needs to Know (with Ulrike Hilborn) in 2012, Quantitative
Fisheries Stock Assessment with Carl Walters in 1992, and The Ecological
Detective: Confronting Models With Data with Marc Mangel, in 1997. He has
also published over 300 peer reviewed articles and served on the Editorial
Boards of numerous journals, including seven years on the Board of
Reviewing Editors of Science Magazine. He has received the Volvo
Environmental Prize, the American Fisheries Societies Award of Excellence,
The Ecological Society of America’s Sustainability Science Award, and the
International Fisheries Science Prize. He is a Fellow of the American
Fisheries Society, the Washington State Academy of Sciences, the Royal
Society of Canada and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

Best,
Yaamini Venkataraman
Graduate Student, Roberts Lab
School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences