[pccgrads] Opportunities to meet with Angela Bednarek (Bevan Series 2018: Feb. 8, 2018)

Michael S Diamond diamond2 at uw.edu
Wed Feb 7 09:01:20 PST 2018

Hi PCC grads,

This week's Bevan speaker is Angela Bednarek of the Pew Charitable Trust,
and she'll discuss the importance of boundary organizations. There
are several spots open on Thursday and Friday if anyone wants to meet with
Angela while she's here! If you're interested, please contact Yaamini
Venkataraman
(yaaminiv at uw.edu), cc'd.

I'm copying some more details about the Bevan Series/Angela's talk below.

Cheers,
Michael

This year promises to be hot as we explore the effect of a changing climate
on fishery sustainability. What effect does a 3+ year marine heatwave have
on North Pacific fisheries? How does acidification affect shellfish and
finish sustainability? Who wins, and who loses, in the political wars to
determine who can fish what where? Can our own U.S. congress reauthorize
our Fishery Management Act without major (untoward) alterations? And how
can we, as scientists and citizens, communicate our expertise and opinions
on all of these issues?

Please join us every week on *Thursday at 4:30pm in the Fishery
Auditorium* (reception
following). You can find the speaker list attached at the Bevan Series
website
<https://fish.uw.edu/news-events/seminar-series/bevan-series/bevan-speakers/>
.

This week's speaker is Angela Bednarek of the Pew Charitable Trusts, who
will discuss turning science into policy as part of a boundary
organization. Her talk details can be found below, or at this link. If
you'd like to schedule a meeting with our speaker, please email
yaaminiv at uw.edu with your availability. Don't miss out on this opportunity!

---
If you missed Dr. Terrie Klinger's talk, you can find it here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej-daAJUYRU>.
---

*Angela Bednarek*

*The Pew Charitable Trusts*

*Minding the Gap: Spanning the Boundary Between Science and Policy*

*Abstract*:
The question of how best to ensure that science is considered within
policy-making is a pressing one. One solution is to “span the boundaries”
between science and policy and create a more comprehensive and inclusive
knowledge exchange process. This approach aims to improve the chances that
research results and decision-making needs are more closely aligned, and
includes accounting for the many types of perspectives, values, and types
of knowledge involved. A challenge, however, is that sufficiently
accounting for all of these moving parts can be quite an undertaking.
Boundary organizations and individuals take on this work as a specific
practice. The Lenfest Ocean Program, a grant-making program at The Pew
Charitable Trusts, has been operating as a boundary organization for the
last 13 years, with the aim of both producing and integrating
policy-relevant science into decision-making about the marine environment.
In this talk, I will describe the Program’s approach and outcomes, and
explore some of the broader opportunities and challenges in engaging in
boundary-spanning.

*Speaker Biography*:
Angela Bednarek is a project director at The Pew Charitable Trusts in the
environmental science division. She develops strategies for enhancing and
assessing the policy relevance of the division’s research investments. This
includes developing scholarship and convening scholars and practitioners on
improving the connections between science and policy. Before joining Pew,
Bednarek was a foreign affairs officer and AAAS Diplomacy Fellow at the
U.S. Department of State in the Office of Environmental Policy. While at
the State Department, she was responsible for negotiating U.S. positions on
the Global Environmental Facility, OECD, the environmental impacts of World
Bank projects and international chemicals agreements. In addition, she
served as the U.S. Representative to the United Nations Dams and
Development Project. She has also held several fellowships in environmental
policy, including one at the Earth Institute at Columbia University in New
York and a Morris K. Udall Fellowship in Environmental Public Policy and
Conflict Resolution. She holds a bachelor’s degree in biology and studio
art from the University of Notre Dame, a master’s degree in biology from
the University of Louisville, and a Ph.D. in biology from the University of
Pennsylvania.

--
Michael S. Diamond
Graduate Student