[pccgrads] Michael White (Nature) visit / talk, Friday the 9th

UW Program On Climate Change uwpcc at uw.edu
Fri Feb 2 13:52:50 PST 2018

Dear PCC Community,

Michael White, the climate science editor for Nature, will be visiting this
coming week.

He'll be giving a talk on Friday, February 9th, at 11:30 a.m. to 12:20, in
Ocean Science Building 425.

This is not the standard talk about "how to get published in Nature".
Instead, Michael will talk about his views about the scientific process,
from his years of editing papers. It should be fascinating.

Title and abstract below.

If you are interested in an opportunity to meet with Michael, he has time
in the afternoon, let me know: steig at uw.edu.

Michael will will also be attending the Thursday afternoon part of the PCC
workshop , which is being organized by Cristian Proistosescu.

Thanks!

Eric Steig

-------------------------

Talk details:

Who: Michael White

Where and When: OSB 425, 11:30 a.m., February 9

Title: "Pathways out of the valley of description”

Maslow, in his pyramid of needs, posited that individuals and societies
needed to fulfill basic needs for survival and security before achieving
self-actualization, including creativity and a sense of inner meaning. The
scientific enterprise is similar. Foundationally, we begin with describing
the world around us, an exercise that extends from early astronomy to
modern genetics. At the pinnacle of the scientific pyramid might be an
understanding of linkages among fields, system behavior, ethics,
prediction, and societal relevance. With examples from the nine years of
climate science submissions I’ve handled at Nature – and cartoons by a
six-year-old – I consider the types of approaches that favor scientific
self-actualization versus continued description.