[pccgrads] Fwd: Please spread the word: Biology Book Club - Spring Quarter

Miriam A. Bertram uwpcc at uw.edu
Tue Apr 24 06:36:05 PDT 2018

The Biology Department Book Club is a quarterly book club in which we read
selections that stimulate conversation on the connection of science to
society, community, and the environment. Please advertise widely—we
encourage students, faculty, and staff from all departments to join us. See
information on this quarter’s book below. Also, feel free to send book
suggestions to smedrano at uw.edu.

Cheers!

Sheryl Medrano

Academic Counselor
University of Washington, Department of Biology
318 Hitchcock Hall, Box 355320
Seattle, WA 98195-5320
206.616.8147
www.biology.washington.edu
www.facebook.com/UWBiology

*My Walk-in days: Tue/Thurs 9-12 & Wed/Fri 1-4.* *Appointments by request.*

Office Walk-in Hours: M, T, W, F 9-12 & 1-4; TH 9-12 & 1:30-4

This Spring Quarter, we read *The Forest Unseen*, by David Haskell. It
takes place on a small, one-square-meter patch of old-growth forest in
Tennessee. This patch of land, Haskell’s “madala”, serves as a window into
what exists beneath our feet, and his observation of it enlightens the
reader, giving us a vivid understanding of the interconnectedness of all
things. We will meet in *Hitchcock 312 on Monday, May 21, at 4:30 p.m*. for
snacks and discussion. All are welcome!