[pccgrads] PCC: Brainstorming for Student Led Multi-Day Workshop

Gregory Quetin gquetin at washington.edu
Mon May 1 15:31:51 PDT 2017

Hello All,

One of the outcomes from the all-hands meeting a while back was an interest
in focused multi-day 'workshops' centered around a topic broadly
interesting to the PCC community. As students we currently have some $$ set
aside to try and set up and run one of these workshops, with PCC interested
in running others if it is successful.

To make this happen we need help in the form of ideas/brainstorming (thats
what this email is about) and then volunteers in the future.

*Here is a brainstorming survey* (Section 1 - a few quick questions,
Section 2 - prompts for proposing a workshop), feel to free to email ideas
and comments directly as well:

Link to Form: https://goo.gl/forms/gYOlQ9Lvgs9s5VoD3

To help get the ball rolling here are some thoughts that have come to mind
as we've kicked this around in P-GraSC, we are looking for ideas to address
all aspects of these:

1. Topic Ideas (generally looking for things that bridge the gap between
a few research groups/topics
1. Everything Community Earth System Model (local and off campus experts
discuss CESM and how it fits together, areas of active research).
2. Land-Atmosphere Interactions under rising CO2
2. Location
1. Currently thinking Urban Horticulture would be good, near campus
without being too close to people's offices and distractions.
3. Duration
1. 2-3 days of work hours (10am - 5pm + dinner + lunch)
4. Goals
1. Could include a few teaching sessions (by students and/or faculty)
2. More in depth advanced discussion and hands on sessions
3. Try to produce something? Beginning of a paper or proposal?
5. Attendees
1. Faculty (think of who you would invite to your workshop)
2. External Faculty (Invitees from off campus? 1 or 2?)
3. Students (audience would be focused on experts and bridging
between expertise but anyone would be welcome to attend, watch, particape
4. Total size 15 - 30 people?

Thank you for the help!

Best,
Greg