[pccgrads] 2017 PCC Summer Institute-Registration Available (save this email)

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 6 14:54:04 PDT 2017

The annual University of Washington Program on Climate Change Summer Institute will take place September 13-15, 2017, in Friday Harbor, WA. The topic this summer is "Population Health and Climate Change" and is being organized by LuAnne Thompson (Ocean) and Cecilia Bitz (ATMOS). This workshop will bring together climate scientists with social and health scientists to talk about the observed and projected impacts of climate change to population health. We will be discussing the challenges that climate change brings to food and water security, human health, and population disruption.

Our current lineup of speakers is given below. We have a few more invites out to round out the schedule.

Name

Institution

Topic

Kristie Ebi

UW Global health

Health and climate change

Eddie Allison

UW SMEA

Marine Food

Fasail Hossain

UW CEE

Water in the developing world

Andy Rhines

UW Atmos

Extreme events and climate

Jeremy Hess

UW/Global health

Heat extremes

Beth Fussell

Brown

Migration and disasters

Daehyun Kim

UW Atmos

Tropical climate change

Registration is required, and there is limited space. Register: <http://depts.washington.edu/fhl/intranet/pcc/pccreg2017.html> http://depts.washington.edu/fhl/intranet/pcc/pccreg2017.html

Additional Detail:

Schedule: Begin after lunch on Wed. Sept. 13 (planning around the 11:55 ferry from Anacortes to FH) and end at lunch (bag lunches provided) on Friday Sept. 15. Detailed Agenda will be distributed and posted later in the summer.

Cost: The Program on Climate Change covers room and board at Friday Harbor Labs, and the costs of the ferry for those that participate in the carpool.

Carpools to and from FHL:

Carpools and ferry reservations are being arranged. We will need volunteer drivers of minivans, and if you are driving your own vehicle and participate in the carpool, the PCC will reimburse your ferry costs.

To join the carpool, be a driver for the carpool or accommodate passengers in your vehicle, please fill out the survey before August 28 (if you are willing to drive, the sooner you tell me the better!): https://goo.gl/forms/ksRRT7t18xiYDzV73

Abstract Submission for Quick Talks, Invited Talks and Posters—accepted until 5pm on Friday Sept. 8:

Want to share your research through a quick talk or poster? Are you an invited speaker? Submit your abstract through this link: https://goo.gl/forms/pszBVPYGHdno4bgQ2

Paper Discussions will happen 2-3 times in the weeks prior to the summer institute. These are “strongly recommended” for participating students and postdocs. Provides a foundation for talks and discussions at the SI. Details will be available later in the summer and sent to registered students and postdocs.

These and additional details as they become available will be found HERE <https://pcc.uw.edu/events/pcc-summer-institute/si-details-and-archives/> .

Questions? Contact Miriam at uwpcc at uw.edu