[pccgrads] Meet with Tynan on "How to get published in Nature Communications" Fri 1/27 or Mon 1/30

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 24 14:26:06 PST 2017

To set up a meeting with Eithne Tynan on Friday or Monday, please contact
her directly by email at Eithne.Tynan at nature.com.

Special Seminar: Dr. Eithne Tynan, Associate Editor, Nature Communications

Monday, Jan. 30, 2017, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

ATG 610

Speaker: Dr. Eithne Tynan, Associate Editor, Nature Communications
Title: How to get published in Nature Communications

Abstract:
So, you've discovered something extraordinary and you want to tell the world
about it? Do you want to publish your discovery in the Nature journals? In
this talk I'll give an overview of the Nature family of journals and
describe the relationships between the different titles. I will focus on
Nature Communications, covering our content format, article processing
charges and waivers, as well as go through the details of our editorial and
review process. This will include what we look for in the papers that we
consider for publication; the mechanics of how submissions are handled; how
to decide if your paper could be for us and prepare a submission; and what
to do when you think we (or our referees) have got a decision wrong.

Bio: Dr. Eithne Tynan, Associate Editor, Nature Communications
Eithne is a keen advocate of science and her interests covers a wide range
of fields, from marine biogeochemistry to climate dynamics. She obtained a
PhD in chemistry from Trinity College Dublin and then worked in industry for
a while before deciding to pursue her passion for marine science. She
obtained a postdoctoral fellowship to carry out research in the ocean carbon
cycle at the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton. In 2015 she joined
Nature Research (previously Nature Publishing group) initially working as an
associate editor in Nature Climate Change, then moved to Nature Geoscience
and is now the climate dynamics, atmospheric science and oceanography editor
at Nature Communications.

She will be on campus Friday 1/27 as well as Monday 1/30 to meet with
individuals.