[pccgrads] "Communicating climate science: pitfalls and challenges" Mon 1/9 12:30 in OCN 425

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:54:37 PST 2017

Please join the PCC for the first in a series of "Climate Conversations"

Monday, January 9, 2017

12:30 -1:30

Ocean Sciences Building Room 425

Communicating climate science: pitfalls and challenges

When talking about climate science to a non-scientific audience, we often
struggle with whether or not to discuss solutions, advocate for a
particular policy, or talk about climate change from an ethics perspective.
Here, we will discuss what restrictions there are as UW employees and
students, how we decide to personally draw the line in what we are
comfortable talking about, and potential pitfalls when reaching
non-traditional audiences.

We will start the conversation with a panel discussion:

Stephanie Harrington, Associate Dean for Planning and Initiatives

Judy Twedt, Graduate Student, Atmospheric Sciences

LuAnne Thompson, Director, Program on Climate Change

This is the first in a series of discussions for graduate students on topics
facing climate scientists that we are calling "Climate Conversations".

Look for these events roughly once a month on a Monday at 12:30. We'll post
them on the pcc calendar <https://pcc.uw.edu/events/> and through this
listserve.