[pccgrads] Policy Briefs, Climate and Two Programs to consider

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 13 12:36:57 PST 2017

Interested in writing policy briefs around climate? Maybe a NY Times competition?

Then one or more of these may be of interest…..

1. Join the GPSS white paper workshop program, first meeting Th Feb. 23 at 5:30 in Denny Forum (more info from fellow graduate student Michael Diamond)

Or

2. Partner with 4 or fewer other students and develop a policy brief around Climate Change and the Future of the Pacific Ocean. And get published in the NY Times.

Must be a current student, or group of 4 or fewer students, and submit an 800 word policy brief by 31 March. Details here https://www.apru-nyt2017.com/ and below.

We could discuss how to create a capstone project around this, or just do it for the experience and potential prize. Suggested team would include representation from the Evans School and Oceanography. Alison Cullen, faculty in the Evans school, PCC past board member, is willing to be a sounding board for ideas, and other faculty are likely to be willing as well. Let me know if you are interested, and I am happy to facilitate.

Happy Monday!

Miriam

206-543-6521

uwpcc at uw.edu

APRU and The New York Times
Asia-Pacific Case Competition 2017

<http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=bc07d86887&e=b60b072ba6> View this email in your browser

<http://apru.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=8e007ac823&e=b60b072ba6>

Dear APRU Senior Staff,

I am writing to invite your students to participate in the APRU – NYT Asia-Pacific Case Competition, with the opportunity to be published in The New York Times International Edition and read by an audience of global thought leaders.

For this competition, teams will be asked to write an 800-word policy brief on climate change and the future of the Pacific Ocean, which will be the ‘wake-up call’ described in the accompanying <http://apru.us6.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=f83e0784e1&e=b60b072ba6> article. Students are encouraged to understand the vast complexity of the Pacific Ocean and to consider how climate change in the Pacific may impact society.

All entries will be judged by The New York Times awarding-winning newsroom and professional judges from the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, with the winning entry published in The New York Times International Edition.

The winning team will receive US$500 worth of vouchers, a trophy and a certificate of accomplishment from The New York Times.

Please find the <http://apru.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=96b00b1e82&e=b60b072ba6> Case Competition details and Competition <http://apru.us6.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=6a537a6d6d&e=b60b072ba6> Regulations & Guidelines here.

Really appreciate if you could distribute these to your students to ensure they are aware of the competition rules. Thank you so much.

Students can also visit <http://apru.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=ca39ae5e71&e=b60b072ba6> https://www.apru-nyt2017.com to find out more details.

Competition Details:
Topic: The Future of the Pacific Ocean Submission deadline: 31 March 2017 (Fri)
All entries must be submitted via email to: <mailto:aprunyt_2017 at apru.org> aprunyt_2017 at apru.org
Website: <http://apru.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=cc8c1fcac8&e=b60b072ba6> https://www.apru-nyt2017.com

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Ashley Pereira
Communications Manager,
Association of Pacific Rim Universities
Email: <mailto:ashley.pereira at apru.org> ashley.pereira at apru.org

Mandy Lam
Head of Education, Asia Pacific
The New York Times
Email: <mailto:mlam at nytimes.com> mlam at nytimes.com

<http://apru.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=415bb46416&e=b60b072ba6>

<http://apru.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=35c2d06145&e=b60b072ba6>

<http://apru.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=9048c54004&e=b60b072ba6>

Copyright © 2017 Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU), All rights reserved.
Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU)

Our mailing address is:

Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU)

Institute for Advanced Study Building, 3F, 3019, Lee Shau Kee Campus

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Add us to your address book <http://apru.us6.list-manage1.com/vcard?u=7251ff0af2ea5314dd7f5b33b&id=2fbec0fd6e>