[pccgrads] Fwd: upcoming public hearing on coal, clean energy, and PSE

Judy Twedt judytwedt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 10:30:53 PDT 2017

Hi folks!

Just a quick reminder to let me know if you want to participate in a
conference call this Friday to learn more about the public hearing on Puget
Sound Energy's uncertain plans to retire their portion of a Montana coal
plant. I've copied the email that went out Friday afternoon, below.

best,

____________________________

Hi everyone,

I want to share information about an upcoming public hearing that may
significantly impact the transition to clean energy here in Washington
State.

Puget Sound Energy (PSE) owns a significant portion of a large coal mine in
Montana and is under pressure to retire the 4 units that it owns. PSE's
decisions about when to retire the units, whether to supplant coal power
with renewable energy or a new gas plant, and how these costs will be
passed onto customers, are all regulated by Washington's Utility and
Transportation Commission (UTC). The UTC must consider public comments
before making a decision, and is hosting two rate-case hearings.

The second of these hearings is at the end of this month. It presents an
opportunity for scientists and stakeholders to inform a policy decision
that has major climate impacts in our region.

*If you want to learn more, join our** conference call with Dr. Jess Koski,
lead organizer for the Sierra Club's Carbon Free PSE campaign **next
Friday **8/25,** 9:30 - 10:30am**. To participate in the **conference** call,
email Judy Twedt (jtwedt at uw.edu <jtwedt at uw.edu>).*

The conference call is for asking questions about the rate case hearing,
learning more about the carbon free PSE campaign, and getting advice on
giving effective testimony or submitting written comment.

Cool side note: Jess received her PhD in sociology from Northwestern
University in 2015. Her dissertation was titled “Human Rights and the
Warming World: Knowing Change as a Socio-Legal Problem.”

*The **next** public hearing is at 6 p.m. Thursday, August 31 at the
Utilities and Transportation Commission, 1300 S Evergreen Park Drive SW,
Olympia. We'll arrange car-pools for those who want to attend.*

Here's some of the media coverage:

>From the Seattle Times Editorial Board: http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/

editorials/pressure-puget-sound-energy-to-abandon-all-coal

“By 2025, the only significant coal-generating facilities in the Northwest
will be two power plants in Colstrip, Montana. Puget Sound Energy owns 25
percent of Colstrip Units 3 and 4, drawing dirty power into the Puget Sound
region that is about 30 percent cheaper than cleaner sources.

The utility [PSE] has no intention of letting go, and is preparing to renew
a coal supply agreement that expires in 2019 with a new 10-year agreement,
said Ronald Roberts, PSE’s director of thermal resources.”

>From the Billings Gazette: http://billingsgazette.com/news/

state-and-regional/montana/colstrip-residents-face-uncertain
-future-as-pressures-build-on-coal/article_b726eb29-ad56-
558f-a2b3-ca8f8aa171ea.html

Official UTC call for Public Comments:https://www.utc.wa.go
v/aboutUs/Lists/News/DispForm.aspx?ID=456