[pccgrads] "A Vast Machine", part II: Wednesday May 3

Naomi Goldenson ngoldens at uw.edu
Thu Apr 13 11:15:59 PDT 2017

We will continue our discussion of "A Vast Machine" on *May 3rd at 1:30pm*.
To focus the discussion a bit more, let's all skip to Chapter 13 - the end
(~the last 100 pages). This is the part on climate data and what it can say
about the future, just to entice you.

Back in the fall, our discussion focused on the first 5 chapters, which are
mostly history. If you're just joining now, you might enjoy Chapter 1 which
frames a lot of what follows. Then you'd skip/skim the intervening chapters
on history of atmospheric observations and models, followed by some that
discuss data issues with global datasets.

Location: TBD. Perhaps out back at Solstice if it's nice out. Perhaps in
ATG, where I've reserved a room in case.

-----------------

Politics of Global Warming"
<https://www.amazon.com/Vast-Machine-Computer-Politics-Infrastructures/dp/0262518635>.*

*Global warming skeptics often fall back on the argument that the
scientific case for global warming is all model predictions, nothing but
simulation; they warn us that we need to wait for real data, "sound
science." In A VastMachine Paul Edwards has news for these skeptics:
without models, there are no data. Today, no collection of signals or
observations -- even from satellites, which can "see" the whole planet with
a single instrument -- becomes global in time and space without passing
through a series of data models. Everything we know about the world's
climate we know through models. Edwards offers an engaging and innovative
history of how scientists learned to understand the atmosphere -- to
measure it, trace its past, and model its future.*