[pccgrads] FW:2017 CBE Research Open Labs, May 19: Data, Climate Change, and Design

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 6 13:47:25 PDT 2017

We hope you will join us for a panel discussion and poster session on “Data, Climate Change, and Design”, May 19, organized by the College of Built Environments in collaboration with Urban at UW. Note that we are looking for faculty and student contributions to the poster session—let Marina know if you’d like to participate!

-----

Jen Davison
Program Manager, <http://urban.uw.edu/> Urban at UW

Program Manager, <https://green.uw.edu/livable-city-year> Livable City Year

University of Washington

o: <tel:206-240-6903> 206-240-6903 c: <tel:520-360-3809> 520-360-3809

From: Marina Alberti <malberti at uw.edu>

I am pleased to announce the panel of the 2017 CBE Research Open Labs scheduled for May 19 12:30-3:00 in Gould Court.

The theme is Data, Climate Change, and Design. How can we use the rapidly increasing available data and data analytics to create better urban design and policies to address climate change? Six panelists will share their experience and exchange views on how new data and data tools can advance the action of cities to mitigate and adapt to climate change across the Cascadia Corridor. The event is organized by CBE in collaboration with Urban at UW.

http://be.uw.edu/2017-cbe-research-open-labs/

Featured panelists will include:

* Stephanie Chang, Professor and Canada Research Chair, University of British Columbia
* Jenny Liu, Assistant Director of NERC (NW Economic Research Center) and Assistant Professor at Portland State
* Ken Yocom, Associate Professor, UW Department of Landscape Architecture
* Joe Casola, PhD, Deputy Director, UW Climate Impacts Group
* David Beck, Senior Data Science Fellow & Director of Research, E-science and Research Professor UW Chemical Engineering
* Ali Modarres, Director & Professor, Urban Studies, UW Tacoma

The panel will be be moderated by Jan Whittington, Associate Professor, UW Department of Urban Design and Planning.

We plan to feature a number of faculty and students' research projects on the theme of climate mitigation and adaptation with a few posters. Please let us know if you will be able to provide a poster or other publication that we can share at the event.

A light buffet will be served and we would appreciate if you could RSVP by May 1st at the link on the webpage http://be.uw.edu/2017-cbe-research-open-labs/

Looking forward to a great discussion.

Best,

Marina