[pccgrads] New Course: Applied Improvisation for Science Communications-autumn 2016

UW PCC uwpcc at uw.edu
Tue Sep 6 14:12:03 PDT 2016

NEW AUTUMN 2016 COURSE!

Applied Improvisation for Science Communications

C ENV 590 (1 credit, CR/NC)

T 3:30-4:50

October 4 - November 1

Co-Instructors:

Tim Essington, School of Aquatic & Fishery Sciences; Alex Grindeland & David Bogan, CSZ Seattle Improvisational Comedians

Liven up your presentations in this fun, low-stress short course. Designed collaboratively with UW faculty and <http://seattlecomedygroup.com/> CSz Seattle improvisational comedians, the course teaches you to communicate your research more confidently and effectively. Professional improv comedians teach you how to communicate your research more confidently and effectively using Applied Improvisation to:

· Strengthen non-verbal communication

· Relax

· Engage with your audience

· Be “in the moment”

· View mistakes as opportunities

· Embrace the unexpected

Feedback from past workshops:

“All the exercises were really, really useful and "forced" us to learn by doing in a comfortable space”

“It was really, really fun and helped me approach science communication from a place of joy.”

“I had a lot of fun and really feel like my communication skills improved a lot. It also improved other areas of communication and team-building”

To Register:

Registration is by permission of instructor only. Priority given to College of the Environment students in advanced stages of their academic career and Post Docs. To be considered for the course, apply by September 16:

Students: Complete this survey at: tinyurl.com/hbonfhx

Post Docs: Email Tim Essington, <mailto:essing at uw.edu> essing at uw.edu