[pccgrads] Oldham on "The forgotten oxidation state: Mn (III) an agent of change in a changing ocean" Fri Oct 14 at 12:30

UW PCC uwpcc at uw.edu
Wed Oct 5 11:42:35 PDT 2016

Special Chemical Oceanography Lunch Seminar

Friday, Oct 14, 2016 12:30PM

OSB 425

Speaker: Veronique Oldham, University of Delaware

Title: "The forgotten oxidation state: Mn (III) an agent of change in a changing ocean"

Abstract: Dissolved Manganese(III) (Mn(III)) is a very reactive form of Mn, as a consequence of its ability to donate or accept electrons, but was previously not thought to be stable in seawater. We’ve shown that ​dissolved ​ Mn(III) ​is stable in seawater due to the presence of organic ligands, ​notably humic-type ligands. We also find that Mn(III) is stable in areas of low/no oxygen, which has implications for the predicted increase in global oxygen minimum zones ​ because​ the persistence of low oxygen zones leads to the increase of dissolved Mn(III) ​. This Mn(III)​ ​could make iron less available in iron-limited regions by competing for Fe(III)-binding ligands ​,​ ​which would have important repercussions on phytoplankton that require Fe(III) bound to ligands for growth.