[pccgrads] Climate Book Club - Next Meeting January - A Vast Machine (the last bit)

Gregory Quetin gquetin at washington.edu
Mon Dec 12 15:28:44 PST 2016

Hi All,

End of quarter shenanigans overtook getting together to go over the middle
of A Vast Machine. Lets plan to have a meeting to discuss the rest of the
book in January. Nice long winter break to cozy up with the tomb. Bonus,
for those that are interested but thought they had fallen behind, now is
your chance to catch up!

Politics of Global Warming"
<https://www.amazon.com/Vast-Machine-Computer-Politics-Infrastructures/dp/0262518635>.*

*Global warming skeptics often fall back on the argument that the
scientific case for global warming is all model predictions, nothing but
simulation; they warn us that we need to wait for real data, "sound
science." In A Vast Machine Paul Edwards has news for these skeptics:
without models, there are no data. Today, no collection of signals or
observations -- even from satellites, which can "see" the whole planet with
a single instrument -- becomes global in time and space without passing
through a series of data models. Everything we know about the world's
climate we know through models. Edwards offers an engaging and innovative
history of how scientists learned to understand the atmosphere -- to
measure it, trace its past, and model its future.*
See you in 2017,
Greg

Gregory R. Quetin
email: gquetin at washington.edu <gquetin at atmos.washington.edu>