[pccgrads] climate justice speakers bureau

Judy Twedt judytwedt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:05:16 PST 2016

Hi folks,

I want to invite you to a uaw4121 *info meeting about the speakers bureau* for
the King County Labor Council's Climate Caucus.

We're meeting this *Friday, December 9th *at* 4:30pm* in* ATG 406. *

More info, below. *Please let me know if you're planning to come and/or
want to stay informed about upcoming opportunities! *

*What's the King County Labor Council? *
The central body of labor organizations in King County, whose mission is to
assist workers and their unions in the struggle for social and economic
justice.

*What's the climate caucus?*
A group within the labor council that promotes open, worker-centric
dialogue about climate justice. *(read between the lines: this is new
territory for labor unions!)*

*You have lots of demands on your time. Why consider this?*
- it challenges you to clearly articulate the areas of your work that are
relevant to workers
- it promotes civil conversations
- it teaches you to become a better speaker
- it helps you think of your own research from a different perspective
- you can give talks with students from other departments
- it's a great opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise
- it's supporting grassroots climate justice

*Is your research relevant for this sort of thing?*
Probably! The labor council represents a diverse body of workers including:
painters, electricians, police, plumbers, teachers, machinists, grocers,
hotel workers, drivers, postal workers, etc... Some unions are particularly
interested in learning about what new clean energy technologies will be
emerging in the near future. Others are concerned about the health impacts
of heat. Some are more interested in policy, or the impacts of here in
Washington, or the economic implications.

We also need folks who are interested in helping in other ways, too!
--
*Judy Twedt*

*Graduate Student *
*Department of Atmospheric Sciences*