[pccgrads] FW: eScience Incubator Program - Call for Proposals (fwd)

UW PCC uwpcc at uw.edu
Wed Nov 4 20:55:57 PST 2015

The UW eScience Institute is pleased to announce

the Data Science Incubation Program - Winter 2016

The goal of the Data Science Incubator is to enable new science by bringing
together data scientists and domain scientists to work on focused,
intensive, collaborative projects.  Our team of data scientists provides
expertise in state-of-the-art technology and methods in statistics and
machine learning, data manipulation and analytics at all scales, cloud and
cluster computing, software design and engineering, visualization, and other
topics.

We invite short proposals (1-2 pages) for one-quarter data-intensive
research projects focusing on extracting insight from large, noisy, or
heterogeneous datasets.   The ideal proposal will clearly identify both the
datasets involved and the questions to be answered, and will explain how the
technical component of the project is critical to delivering exciting new
findings.

To apply to the program, any faculty, research staff, or student can submit
a short project proposal describing the science goals, the relevant
datasets, and the expected technical challenges.

Each project must include a project lead who is willing to physically
co-locate with the incubator staff. We find that collaboration in a shared
space is important for deeper technical engagement and provides
opportunities for "cross-pollination"
among multiple concurrent projects. For Winter 2016, the incubator will
operate on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the project lead should plan to be
available for several hours on these days. The program will operate out of
the WRF Data Science Studio.

Each project lead will "own" their project (and its results) and be
responsible for its successful completion, with the eScience team providing
guidance on methods, technologies, and best practices as well as general
software engineering.

In reviewing the proposals, we will be looking for high-risk, high-reward
research projects that this program can help push in a new direction.  In
addition, we hope to select a set of projects with shared requirements; we
find that participants are most successful when they interact with each
other as well as with our group.

More information, including instructions on how to submit project proposals,
is available on the incubator website:

http://data.washington.edu/incubator/

IMPORTANT DATES:

Nov 9: 1-hour information session, 11am -12pm, Data Science Studio, 6th
floor Physics/Astronomy Tower

Nov 23: Proposals due

Dec 4: Notification

Jan 5: Kickoff meeting

Micaela S. Parker, Ph.D.
Program Manager  |  eScience Institute
Campus Box 351570  |  University of Washington Seattle, WA  98195