[pccgrads] FWD: CIG seminars this week (5/6 and 5/8)

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Mon May 4 10:55:09 PDT 2015

Good morning,

This is a reminder to please attend this week’s seminars brought to you by the Climate Impacts Group. Updated details are provided below. We’d love to have you join us!

Presenter Name: Joseph (Joe) Casola

Affiliation: Staff Scientist, Director of Science and Impacts; Center for Climate and Energy Solutions

Title of Talk: What makes for “good” climate services?

Abstract:

Given the growing recognition of the interconnectedness of climate, ecosystems, human communities, and infrastructure, there is an increasing demand from decision makers for climate services. These services can include many types of activities and products, including contextualization of media stories about weather and climate (e.g., is the current drought “caused” by climate change?), assistance in understanding climate model projections, evaluation of exposure to specific stressors (e.g., a map depicting coastal inundation due to sea level rise), or the examination of vulnerabilities within a community, ecosystem, or business. I will identify and discuss aspects of climate-service delivery from my recent and current work, using examples from transportation planning, ecosystem management, and corporate sustainability planning. These experiences demonstrate the importance of two-way partnerships between researchers and decision makers. These partnerships can be helpful in understanding how climate research questions can be guided by the needs and perspectives of decision makers, and in turn, how decision makers can best leverage climate knowledge to evaluate options related to policies, investments, or programs.

Date and Time: Wednesday, May 6, 10:45-11:45 AM

Location: PoE Commons, Wallace Hall

Presenter Name: Julie A. Vano

Affiliation: Post-Doctoral Fellow; College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University

Title of Talk: Water management in a changing climate: lessons in making climate science relevant to decision making

Abstract:

Increased temperatures and precipitation change will result in fundamental changes in both the magnitude and seasonality of streamflow throughout the western United States. These streamflow changes will have serious implications to ecosystems and human communities, including changes to water supply, elevated flood and drought risk, and increased water infrastructure vulnerability. In this talk, I provide overviews of several efforts I have led to better understand climate impacts on water resources and generate climate information and tools that are useful to decision makers in the Colorado River basin and Pacific Northwest. I highlight lessons I have learned, successes as well as challenges, on how to bridge the gap between climate science and real-world application.

Date and Time: Friday, May 8, 12:30-1:30 PM

Location: ACC 120, Wallace Hall

Warm regards,

Julie

Julie Fisk, MMA

Assistant to Amy Snover, PhD

Climate Impacts Group | College of the Environment | University of Washington

Box 355674 | Seattle, WA 98195

206-616-4304 | juliedf at uw.edu | http://cig.uw.edu