[pccgrads] GSS Talk Today! OSB 425 @5pm. Leander Love-Anderegg on Drought and Trees

Gregory Quetin gquetin at atmos.washington.edu
Wed Jan 28 11:47:23 PST 2015

*GSS Talk Today!*

Leander Love-Anderegg this* Wednesday (01/28) at 5pm in OSB 425*. Talk
title and abstract below.

Best,
Greg, Hilary and Brad

Title: *More than one way to skin a drought: Two tree species show
contrasting patterns of functional trait variation across a drought stress
gradient*

Functional traits mediate how organisms interact with their environment,
and have become both critical tools in community ecology and key
mechanistic drivers of vegetation dynamics in vegetation models. However,
our understanding of functional trait variation and covariation between
traits derives almost entirely from large, between species analyses that
assume that all individuals in a species have a similar trait value. I'll
discuss my work testing just how accurate this assumption is using tree
species from SW Colorado, and extrapolate wildly from my limited data to
discuss implications for species range dynamics, vegetation modeling
approaches, and ecological responses to climate change.

Leander is a graduate student in Biology, whose favorite scientific
instrument is the shotgun, favorite pastime is torturing trees, and
favorite ice cream flavor is Tillamook Mudslide.

**The PCC Graduate Student Seminar (GSS) is organized by graduate students
for graduate students. The series provides an extremely laid back
environment where grad students give 25-35 min presentations on their
research followed by a 20 minutes of questions/discussion on the topic.
It's a great opportunity to see what is going on in climate research with
your fellow students down the hall or across campus. Plus, it you are
interested in presenting, it's a great chance to show off some of your own
research and receive feedback on your work. Presentations should be geared
toward a general scientific audience (of graduate students) with ample
background information so everyone can follow. As always, *be*v*er*ages
will be provided for a minimal donation.

If you have not attended the GSS before, we encourage you to attend. It is
a great way to meet other students and get involved in the PCC.