[pccgrads] PCC 593 Seminar TODAY: Lee on "The Journal Article vs. the Policy Brief: How to get the attention of policy makers" 1/27 at 3:30 in OSB 425

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 27 09:10:36 PST 2015

PCC 593: Perspectives in Communicating Climate Science (Seminar)

Carrie Lee, Stockholm Environment Institute

"The Journal Article vs. the Policy Brief: How to get the attention of
policy makers"

Today, Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 3:30 PM-4:20 PM
Location: OSB 425

Abstract:
SEI is an independent international research institute. We have been engaged
in environment and development issues at local, national, regional and
global policy levels for more than 20 years. Our goal is to bring about
change for sustainable development by bridging science and policy. We do
this by providing integrated analysis that supports decision makers. We
believe that scientific insights can guide us through change and should
inform decision making and public policy. We engage with our four core
audiences in the North and South: academia, public policy decision makers,
media and NGOs.

Publications are a key part of SEI's mission to bridge science and policy.
They are how we disseminate our findings to fellow researchers,
policy-makers, and other audiences. To be effective written communications
must be tailored to the interests, preferences, and needs of different
audiences. The target audience for our research will determine the optimal
content, format, and length for our publication. In some cases, we may
choose to produce multiple publications (e.g. journal articles vs. policy
briefs) to suit different audiences. We will compare and contrast what works
for the different audiences.

Speaker Bio:

Carrie works in the Climate and Energy program at the Seattle office of
SEI's US center. Her research focuses on forest and agricultural climate
mitigation strategies, carbon offsets, bio-energy production, ecosystem
ecology and management, and regional climate change impacts assessment.

Carrie received her M.S. in Forest Resources and Interdisciplinary Policy
Dimensions of Earth Science from the University of Washington in 2007 and
was honored with fellowships from the Program on Climate Change and the
Program on the Environment.

Her master's thesis evaluated the forest stand and Washington State level
feasibility of methanol production from woody biomass. She received a B.A.
in biology from Carleton College in 2001.

Seminar Coordinator: Miriam Bertram, uwpcc at uw.edu

_________________________________

Future seminars in this series :

Week 5 (Feb 3)
Guest: Megan Bang, Assistant Professor, UW College of Education
Title: Cultural Aspects of Climate Communication

Week 6 (Feb 10)
Guest: Joanne Silberner (Artist-in-Residence, UW Communications Department)
Title: Climate Communication- A Journalist's Perspective

Week 7 (Feb 17)
Guests: Greg Quetin, Graduate Student, UW Atmospheric Sciences
Abigail Steinem, Graduate Student, UW School of Art + Art History + Design
Title: If you communicate and no one listens, did you communicate?

Week 8 (Feb. 24)
Guest: Rev. Jenny Phillips
Title: "Religious Frames for Climate Change"

Week 9 (March 3)
Guest: Amy Snover, Climate Impacts Group