[pccgrads] PCC 593: Lee on "The Journal Article vs. the Policy Brief: How to get the attention of policy makers" Tu 1/27 at 3:30

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 22 10:19:27 PST 2015

Please join us for the PCC 593: Perspectives on Communication Climate
Science (Seminar)

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

3:30 - 4:20 PM
OSB 425

Speaker: Carrie Lee, Stockholm Environment Institute, UW Alumna

Abstract:
SEI is an independent international research institute. We have been engaged
in environment and development issues at local, national, regional and
global policy levels for more than 20 years. Our goal is to bring about
change for sustainable development by bridging science and policy. We do
this by providing integrated analysis that supports decision makers. We
believe that scientific insights can guide us through change and should
inform decision making and public policy. We engage with our four core
audiences in the North and South: academia, public policy decision makers,
media and NGOs.

Publications are a key part of SEI's mission to bridge science and policy.
They are how we disseminate our findings to fellow researchers,
policy-makers, and other audiences. To be effective written communications
must be tailored to the interests, preferences, and needs of different
audiences. The target audience for our research will determine the optimal
content, format, and length for our publication. In some cases, we may
choose to produce multiple publications (e.g. journal articles vs. policy
briefs) to suit different audiences. We will compare and contrast what works
for the different audiences.

Speaker Bio: http://www.sei-international.org/staff?staffid=148

Information about the seminar series:
http://www.uwpcc.washington.edu/course.jsp?action=ViewObject
<http://www.uwpcc.washington.edu/course.jsp?action=ViewObject&object=course&
id=354&forward=no> &object=course&id=354&forward=no

Seminar Coordinator: Miriam Bertram uwpcc at uw.edu