[pccgrads] PCC Board Meeting Notes and Events

Stephen Po-Chedley pochedley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 16:07:50 PST 2015

Hi Everyone,

I included some brief notes from the PCC Board Meeting (December 5) below. I’d like to point out that the Winter Welcome is January 29, 2015 at 5:30 (RSVP here <https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/mab23/257888>). There is also a panel discussion tonight on carbon pricing in Washington State.

If anyone has any questions or feedback regarding the PCC, let me know!

Thanks,

Steve

* Events
- January 14 5:30 - 7:15: Carbon Pricing Discussion (Kane 210)
- January 29 5:30 - 8:00: Winter Welcome (FSH Auditorium and Library) RSVP here <https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/mab23/257888>.
- Grad Student Seminar alternating Wednesdays (1/28, 2/11, 2/25, 3/11)
- March 17 evening lecture regarding Hurricane Sandy (FSH 102)
- September 20 - 22: Fall 2015 Summer Institute: Terrestrial Ecosystems, Land Surface, and Climate Change

* The PCC has had a ton of meetings this fall, including the Pacific Northwest Climate Conference (9/9 - 9/10), the US Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation Meeting (9/9 - 9/11), the Summer Institute on Climate Variability and uncertainty (9/15 - 9/17), Graduate Climate Conference (10/31 - 11/2). I noted that the GCC went really well, had outstanding talks, had great funding, great UW, domestic, and international representation. Nice work GCC committee!
* The PCC is welcoming a few new PCC Fellows, including Emma Kahle (ESS), Ashly Spevacek (Atmos), Marlies Kovenock (Bio). We will continue funding PCC Fellows next year (one per core department).
* The PCC has a number of climate courses this term, including Climate Communication, Carbon Cycle and Climate, and Geoengineering. In the Spring the PCC will offer Climate Modeling with Cecilia Bitz.
* Foci for 2015: Increase advertising of GCeCS and PCC. Increase recruiting for climate minor. Work on website.
* Regarding financials: PCC is able to support more of Miriam’s salary (75%). PCC is encouraging faculty to write outreach/communication projects into NSF broader impacts sections. Current PCC “carryover” budget will be depleted in ~5 years. As a result, the PCC is looking at other sources of revenues. A task force will be created to look at the future of the graduate program, both to look at how to keep the PCC relevant and to consider budget issues. If you’re interested in being involved in this process - email Steve (pochedls at uw.edu).