[pccgrads] Singh (Feb 19 2015) on "Numerical Water Tracers in the Aerial Hydrological Cycle..applications to ...doubled-CO2 scenarios" Th 3:30

UW PCC uwpcc at uw.edu
Wed Feb 18 17:08:28 PST 2015

Atmos
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/outreach/seminars.shtml?trumbaEmbed=view%3d
event%26eventid%3d113276907> & Climate Dynamics Seminar, ATM S 521: Hansi
Singh
<http://eventactions.com/ea.aspx?ea=Atmc&e32=c7v0k6bttas3pynyxxd4eujvaw>
Click to add this event to your calendar

Date

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Time

3:30 pm - 4:20 pm PST

Campus location

Bagley Hall (BAG)

Campus room

261

Notes

Speaker: Hansi Singh, Graduate Student, Department of Atmospheric Sciences,
UW
Title: Numerical Water Tracers in the Aerial Hydrological Cycle: A New
Mathematical Approach and Applications to Control and Doubled-CO2 Scenarios
Location: BAG 261
Coordinator: Prof. Daehyun Kim ( <mailto:daehyun at atmos.washington.edu>
daehyun at atmos.washington.edu)
<http://www.atmos.washington.edu/events/Abstract_Singh_2_19_2015.pdf>
Abstract: In this study, we present a new mathematical framework for
studying the aerial hydrological cycle through the use of numerical water
tracers in a GCM. The framework allows us to separate precipitation
contributions from divergence of locally-evaporated moisture and convergence
of remotely-evaporated moisture; the remote contribution can be further
decomposed using mathematical and physical matrix decompositions.
Perturbation methods allow us to partition changes in precipitation into
thermodynamic and dynamic contributions. We use this framework to analyze
and compare results from a pair of GCM experiments (preindustrial and
quasi-equilibrium doubled-CO2) in which we track evaporated water from 10
degree latitude bands in each ocean basin.

More

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/outreach/seminars.shtml