[pccgrads] GSS Talk Today! (02/11) @5pm in OSB 425 - The transient development of the double-ITCZ bias in CESM1-CAM5

Gregory Quetin gquetin at washington.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:37:38 PST 2015

Hi All,

*GSS Today @5pm in OSB 425!* Matthew Woelfle talking, title and abstract
below. Also below, note on getting to OSB efficiently while there is some
construction there.

Best,
Greg, Hilary and Brad

Title: *The transient development of the double-ITCZ bias in CESM1-CAM5*

*Abstract:* The dominate precipitation feature in the deep tropics is a
band of convective precipitation known as the Intertropical Convergence
Zone (ITCZ). Over the Pacific basin, many global climate models simulate an
ITCZ which is both too wet and too seasonal resulting a precipitation
maximum on either side of the equator in the annual mean where only a
single maximum is seen in observations. In this talk, I will discuss the
transient development of this double-ITCZ bias in a global climate model
and the sensitivity of the bias to the model’s convective parameterization.
Based on this, I will discuss the implications of my results in light of
other studies’ proposed mechanisms for the bias’s origin and development.

*Fun With Construction!*

If you have not yet been to OSB since the start of February, a heads up
that there's construction around the building blocking the lawn north of
the building and the paths across it. If you're walking from upper campus,
the best way to get to OSB is to head towards the east entrance by taking
the stairs down after crossing the Burke-Gilman near the botany greenhouse
and continuing to stay to the west of Health Sciences all the way down. The
east entrance of OSB will be unlocked until 5:30 if you are delayed by
construction (or anything else). You can also still get to the west
entrance of OSB, but you will have to take 15th down to Boat Street to get
there.

****The PCC Graduate Student Seminar (GSS) is organized by graduate
students for graduate students. The series provides an extremely laid back
environment where grad students give 25-35 min presentations on their
research followed by a 20 minutes of questions/discussion on the topic.
It's a great opportunity to see what is going on in climate research with
your fellow students down the hall or across campus. Plus, it you are
interested in presenting, it's a great chance to show off some of your own
research and receive feedback on your work. Presentations should be geared
toward a general scientific audience (of graduate students) with ample
background information so everyone can follow. As always, *be*v*er*ages
will be provided for a minimal donation.

If you have not attended the GSS before, we encourage you to attend. It is
a great way to meet other students and get involved in the PCC.