[pccgrads] Today! Quetin on "Global Response of Vegetation to Inter-annual Climate Variability" 3:30 in Bagley 261

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 5 12:39:32 PST 2015

Atmos & Climate Dynamics Seminar, ATM S 521

Thursday, February 05, 2015

3:30 pm - 4:20 pm PST

Bagley Hall (BAG) 261

Gregory Quetin, Graduate Student, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, UW

Title: Global Response of Vegetation to Inter-annual Climate Variability
(COGS)

Abstract: Vegetation adapts to a broad assortment of climate conditions
across the globe; constrained by limits and excesses of environmental
conditions such as temperature, insolation and water. Predicting the future
distribution and productivity of vegetation requires knowing where and how
it will respond to climate. Combining decades of remotely sensed vegetation
greenness and gridded climate datasets we have quantified how vegetation is
constrained by climate across the globe and across climate space. We find
that the mean annual temperature boundary between too little and too much
warmth changes by 7 degrees C depending on how much rainfall a place
receives, and at the highest rainfall rates vegetation never becomes
constrained by high temperatures at all. In contrast to previous climate
classification approaches, our approach provides a process-oriented data
constraint that can be used to test process-based models.

Coordinator: Prof. Daehyun Kim ( <mailto:daehyun at atmos.washington.edu>
daehyun at atmos.washington.edu)