[pccgrads] Paleoproxies course--pls respond BY MONDAY 10/7 if you'd like to see Paleoclimate proxies taught in 2015

UW PCC uwpcc at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 30 10:28:12 PDT 2014

Hello PCC grads!

At least one graduate student needs to take Paleoclimate Proxies before the
end of this academic year. If there are enough others who WILL (to their
best ability to forecast.) take it, Julian Sachs (jsachs at uw.edu
http://faculty.washington.edu/jsachs/ ) says he'll teach it.

So, please answer the following) if you would plan to take the class in
either winter or spring 2015. (more info on the class is below)

Pick one of the options below:

1. YES I plan to take Paleoproxies ONLY if it is offered in Winter
2015

2. YES I plan to take Paleoproxies ONLY if it is offered in Spring
2015

3. YES I would take Paleoproxies if it was offered in EITHER winter or
spring 2015.

4. I am interested in learning more about the class and MIGHT take it
in winter or spring 2015.

Thank you for responding before Monday 10/7!!

-Miriam

Paleoclimate Proxies OCEAN/ATM S/ESS 554 (3 credits) Instructor: Julian
Sachs
Description from Provides a critical evaluation of the most commonly applied
paleoclimate proxies from the ocean, land, and ice sheets.
<https://uwstudent.washington.edu/student/myplan/course/OCEAN554> View
course details in MyPlan: OCEAN 554

Description of the class when it was last taught by Becky Alexander and
Julian Sachs:

Climate proxies are sources of climate information from natural archives
such as sediment cores, ice cores, corals, and tree rings. Because the
instrumental record of climate is short, spanning the last few decades in
most places, the geologic record is the only source of climate date for
evaluating natural variability on decadal-to-centennial (and longer) time
scales. An enormous variety of paleoclimate indicators are in use, with new
ones being developed constantly. Some provide quantitative information on a
specific climate variable, such as sea surface temperature. Many others
provide qualitative information on one or more variables. The goal of this
course is to critically evaluate the robustness and limitations of the most
commonly applied climate proxies from the ocean, land and ice sheets.