[pccgrads] The Science and Ethics of Geoengineering -- ATMS 591 winter 2014 --a few spots left

UW PCC uwpcc at uw.edu
Wed Dec 10 10:51:07 PST 2014

Hi,

One more advertisement for the Geoengineering class. Steve Gardiner and I
are looking for an equal split of students between the environmental
sciences and the philosophy/policy side. He has been a more successful
recruiter than I have so his side is full but mine is not. I am still
looking for a few more students. Please consider signing up. I promise that
the course will be truly cross-disciplinary and interesting. We have a
couple of external speakers coming as well. I currently have enrollees from
Atmospheric Sciences, Oceanography and Civil Engineering,

If you wish to sign up, you need to sign up for ATMS 591. That requires an
add code so you have to contact me for that. Feel free to talk with me if
you have questions or want to know more about the course.

Regards,

Tom Ackerman

Ethics, Science and Geoengineering

Geoengineering - roughly the intentional technological manipulation of the
planetary environment on a global scale - is becoming a hot topic in climate
change circles, as well as in the broader science and ethics communities. In
this interdisciplinary course, we will consider the science of
geoengineering and the ethical and governance considerations at stake. We
will highlight interventions such as stratospheric sulfate injection, marine
cloud brightening, and direct air capture. Scientifically, we will look at
the mechanism, how they affect the climate system, and what is the level of
uncertainty. Ethical topics wil include emergency arguments for
geoengineering, moral hazard, justice, political legitimacy, hubris, and,
especially, possible regulation of geoengineering research and deployment.
We will discuss work from leading authors such as Ralph Cicerone, Paul
Crutzen, Clive Hamilton, Mike Hulme, Dale Jamieson and David Keith, as well
as influential reports from the Royal Society and the National Research
Council. We are looking for strong team of advanced undergraduates and
graduate students with background in ethics, politics, policy, and related
disciplines. Versions of the course are cross-listed in Atmospheric
Sciences, Environmental Studies and Philosophy. Please do not hesitate to
contact the instructor for further details.