[pccgrads] FW: Northeast Pacific Brownbag Lunch - Monday 8/25, 12:00 (copepod development and Ocean Acidification)

UW PCC uwpcc at uw.edu
Mon Aug 25 08:08:34 PDT 2014

From: Noel Pelland <nap2 at u.washington.edu>

Hello All,

Please join us today in OSB 425 at noon for the second installment of the
"Northeast Pacific Brownbag Lunch."  Anna McLaskey, a Biological
Oceanography Ph.D. student working with Julie Keister, has graciously
offered to host today's meeting.  Anna works on topics related to ocean
acidification in the Northeast Pacific and its impact on important species
in the marine food web.  She will give a 20-30 minute informal presentation
with open-form discussion to follow.  Here is a short introduction to her
research topic:
[cleardot.gif]
Crustacean zooplankton are key components of most marine food webs
but their response to elevated
pCO2 remains poorly understood. Our lab is conducting ocean
acidification experiments on the
copepod Calanus pacificus and the krill Euphausia pacifica, two
dominant crustacean zooplankton that are
important prey species in Puget Sound and the NE Pacific. I will be
discussing experimental results on
the hatching and early development of these species when exposed to
pCO2 levels currently observed in
Puget Sound as well as future predicted levels, and how these results
relate to their current ecology.

We look forward to seeing you today, and please let me know if you have any
questions, or if you would like to be added to the email list for
notifications about future meetings.  Best regards,

Noel

~~~~
Noel Pelland
Graduate Research Assistant - Physical Oceanography University of Washington
School of Oceanography Box 355351 - Ocean Sciences Building 343B - 206 221
6735 Seattle, WA 98195