[NNLM-Region5] NNLM Region 5 Weekly Digest - June 21, 2022

NNLM Region 5 nnlm at uw.edu
Tue Jun 21 08:02:30 PDT 2022

[NNLM logo]
Region 5 Weekly Digest - June 21, 2022
Your weekly roundup of news and announcements from the Network of the National Library of Medicine Region 5.
Region 5 includes Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States in the Pacific

Professional Development

NNLM Classes
Visit the NNLM website for a complete listing of scheduled NNLM educational opportunities<https://nnlm.gov/training/schedule>.
Missed a class? Many are recorded<https://nnlm.gov/training/recordings>.
Registration requires creating a free individual user account, learn how<https://news.nnlm.gov/region_5/consumer-health-minute-creating-an-nnlm-user-account/>.
Storytelling as a Public Health Strategy to Address Inequities in Maternal Health Outcomes<https://nnlm.gov/training/class/storytelling-public-health-strategy-address-inequities-maternal-health-outcomes>, this session is part of the PNC-MLA Health Equity and Diversity Speaker Series which is a collaboration between NNLM Region 5 and PNC-MLA. August 24 at 9:00 a.m. SST, 10:00 a.m. HST, 12:00 p.m. AKDT, 1:00 p.m. PDT, and August 25 at 6:00 a.m. ChST
NLM Office Hours: Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)<https://nnlm.gov/civicrm-event/619>, in this special NLM Office Hours co-hosted by the Massachusetts Health Sciences Library Network (MAHSLIN), Dan Cho from NLM's MeSH team will briefly describe how MeSH is developed and talk about the role of community input in MeSH development. Following this brief presentation, Elaine Alligood from MAHSLIN will moderate a Q&A and discussion. To submit questions in advance, please send them to NLMTrainers at nih.gov<mailto:NLMTrainers at nih.gov> with the subject line: "NLM Office Hours."
June 30 at 5:30 a.m. SST, 6:30 a.m. HST, 8:30 a.m. AKDT, 9:30 a.m. PDT, July 1 at 2:30 a.m. ChST
Cultivating Protective Libraries: An Introduction to Public Library Social Work<https://nnlm.gov/training/class/cultivating-protective-libraries-introduction-public-library-social-work>, July 13 at 4:00 a.m. SST, 5:00 a.m. HST, 7:00 a.m. AKDT, 8:00 a.m. PDT, July 14 at 1:00 a.m. ChST
How Implicit Bias Affects Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare<https://nnlm.gov/training/class/how-implicit-bias-affects-artificial-intelligence-healthcare>, August 3 at 4:00 a.m. SST, 5:00 a.m. HST, 7:00 a.m. AKDT, 8:00 a.m. PDT, August 4 at 1:00 a.m. ChST
Additional learning opportunities
Mental Health and Suicide Prevention for Veterans, Service Members, Families and Communities<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/mental-health-suicide-prevention-veterans.html>, register for this WebJunction scheduled for August 12 at 7:00 a.m. SST, 8:00 a.m. HST, 10:00 a.m. AKDT, 11:00 a.m. PDT, August 13 at 4:00 a.m. ChST
NHSA-AIM CCI Racial Equity Learning Series<https://www.aimcci.org/nhsa-aim-cci-racial-equity-learning-series-rels/>, The Racial Equity Learning Series (RELS), developed by the National Healthy Start Association (NHSA) and the Alliance for Maternal Health Community Care Initiative (AIM CCI), is a professional learning series that addresses racism's impact on maternal and child health.
NCBI Virtual Workshops, click on the links below for more details and to register:

* An Introduction to NCBI Cloud Computing for Biologists<https://ncbiinsights.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/event/cloud-computing-for-biologists-07-22/>, July 14
* An Introduction to Molecular Evolutionary Analysis with NCBI Datasets and Python<https://ncbiinsights.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/event/evolutionary-analysis-with-ncbi-datasets-and-python-07-22/>, July 21

News from the Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM)
DataFlash: Region 5's NCDS Summer Interns!!!<https://news.nnlm.gov/region_5/dataflash-region-5s-ncds-summer-interns/>

News from the National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH)

NLM's History of Medicine: Merleau-Ponty, Descartes, and the Meaning of Painting<https://circulatingnow.nlm.nih.gov/2022/06/16/merleau-ponty-descartes-and-the-meaning-of-painting/>

>From the NIH Director's blog: To Prevent a Stroke, Household Chores and Leisurely Strolls May Help<https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2022/06/21/to-prevent-a-stroke-household-chores-and-leisurely-strolls-may-help/>

Life expectancy in the U.S. increased between 2000-2019, but widespread gaps among racial and ethnic groups exist<https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/life-expectancy-us-increased-between-2000-2019-widespread-gaps-among-racial-ethnic-groups-exist>
New NIH Funding Opportunities for Climate Change and Health Research<https://www.nih.gov/climateandhealth>, check webpage for deadlines and details
Study Furthers Understanding of Disparities in School Discipline<https://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/research-highlights/2022/study-furthers-understanding-of-disparities-in-school-discipline>
Gender-Sexuality Alliance Clubs Can Promote Youth Empowerment and Mental Health<https://www.nimhd.nih.gov/news-events/research-spotlights/gender-sexuality.html>
#Vax4Community Campaign Uses Videos to Overcome Vaccine Hesitancy<https://www.nimhd.nih.gov/news-events/features/community-health/telling-vaccine-stories-nyc-ceal.html>
UNITE Initiative: Listening Session Summaries<https://www.nih.gov/ending-structural-racism/unite-events#past>, UNITE was established to identify and address structural racism within the NIH-supported and the greater scientific community
Selection of Kevin Williams as Director of the NIH Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion<https://www.nih.gov/about-nih/who-we-are/nih-director/statements/selection-kevin-williams-director-nih-office-equity-diversity-inclusion>
Visit the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's new Health Topics section<https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health> for more consumer-friendly content, new research pages highlighting NHLBI's impact, a new filtered search page for clinical trials, and new and improved navigation and design.

Resource Spotlight
Pacific Public Health Fellowship Program
The Pacific Public Health Fellowship Program<https://www.pihoa.org/human-resources-for-health/pacific-public-health-fellowship-program/>, a collaborative effort between various U.S. Affiliated Pacific Islands' health departments, the Pacific Island Health Officers' Association, and the CDC, is a two-year professional development program that provides new college graduates and early career professionals with hands-on learning experiences and training for a variety of public health careers in:

* Guam
* The Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas
* American Samoa
* The U.S. Freely Associated States
* The Federated States of Micronesia
* The Republic of the Marshall Islands
* The Republic of Palau
Deadline to apply is June 30.
Blueprint for Change: A National Framework for a System of Services for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs
In partnership with families, healthcare professionals, and other experts in the field, the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Maternal and Child Health Bureau developed the Blueprint for Change<https://mchb.hrsa.gov/programs-impact/focus-areas/children-youth-special-health-care-needs-cyshcn/blueprint-change>. The Blueprint is a national framework to advance a system of services for children and youth with special health care needs where they enjoy a full life and thrive in their community from childhood through adulthood. This special supplement is freely available in the journal, Pediatrics<https://publications.aap.org/pediatrics/issue/149/Supplement%207>.

Network of the National Library of Medicine, Region 5 (Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States in the Pacific)
University of Washington Health Sciences Library, Seattle, WA
https://nnlm.gov/ | nnlm at uw.edu<mailto:nnlm at uw.edu> | 206-543-8262

Region 5 Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/nnlmregion5>
Region 5 Twitter<https://twitter.com/nnlmregion5>
Region 5 Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/nnlmregion5/>