[NNLM-Region5] NNLM Region 5 Weekly Digest - July 5, 2022

NNLM Region 5 nnlm at uw.edu
Tue Jul 5 08:03:13 PDT 2022

[NNLM logo]
Region 5 Weekly Digest - July 5, 2022
Your weekly roundup of news and announcements from the Network of the National Library of Medicine Region 5.
Region 5 includes Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States in the Pacific

Professional Development

NNLM Classes
Visit the NNLM website for a complete listing of scheduled NNLM educational opportunities<https://nnlm.gov/training/schedule>.
Missed a class? Many are recorded<https://nnlm.gov/training/recordings>.
Registration requires creating a free individual user account, learn how<https://news.nnlm.gov/region_5/consumer-health-minute-creating-an-nnlm-user-account/>.
Cultivating Protective Libraries: An Introduction to Public Library Social Work<https://nnlm.gov/training/class/cultivating-protective-libraries-introduction-public-library-social-work>, July 13 at 4:00 a.m. SST, 5:00 a.m. HST, 7:00 a.m. AKDT, 8:00 a.m. PDT, July 14 at 1:00 a.m. ChST
Stuck on a Cruise Ship - How to Help Aspiring Health Professionals Through HOSA?<https://nnlm.gov/training/class/r4-connections-stuck-cruise-ship-how-help-aspiring-health-professionals-through-hosa>, July 14 at 7:00 a.m. SST, 8:00 a.m. HST, 10:00 a.m. AKDT, 11:00 a.m. PDT, July 15 at 4:00 a.m. ChST
Community Discussion: Addressing the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy<https://nnlm.gov/training/class/community-discussion-addressing-nih-data-management-and-sharing-policy>, July 20 at 6:00 a.m. SST, 7:00 a.m. HST, 9:00 a.m. AKDT, 10:00 a.m. PDT, July 21 at 3:00 a.m. ChST

>From Problem to Prevention: Evidence Based Public Health<https://nnlm.gov/training/class/problem-prevention-evidence-based-public-health-1>, July 27 at 7:00 a.m. SST, 8:00 a.m. HST, 10:00 a.m. AKDT, 11:00 a.m. PDT, July 28 at 4:00 a.m. ChST

Additional learning opportunities
Evidence-Based Practice for the Medical Librarian<https://sils.unc.edu/programs/ebm>, To be added to the interest list for the Fall 2022 online session, please email Lara Bailey at ljbailey at email.unc.edu<mailto:ljbailey at email.unc.edu> with your name, email address, and title to be added to an interest list. Registration opens August 29 and fills quickly. Cost is $500 and provides 35 MLA CE credits
ACRL Presents: Ethical Engagement in Learning Analytics: Lessons Learned by Campus Colleagues<https://ala-events.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Nk14g-cbRY-VKfhpdnEItg>, register for this free ACRL (ALA's Association of College and Research Libraries) webinar scheduled for July 22 at 7:00 a.m. SST, 8:00 a.m. HST, 10:00 a.m. AKDT, 11:00 a.m. PDT, July 23 at 4:00 a.m. ChST
Safer: Storing Firearms Prevents Harm<https://shop.aap.org/safer-storing-firearms-prevents-harm/>, register for this free, asynchronous training from the American Academy of Pediatrics. The training describes universal firearm injury prevention guidance for pediatric providers in clinic-settings, offers pragmatic video counseling examples based on existing evidence, and provides resources.

News from the Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM)
Consumer Health Minute: Reproductive Health, Reproductive Rights<https://news.nnlm.gov/region_5/consumer-health-minute-reproductive-health-reproductive-rights/>
Announcing July 2022 NNLM Reading Club: Travel Health<https://news.nnlm.gov/region_5/announcing-july-2022-nnlm-reading-club-travel-health/>
Current NNLM Funding Opportunity
NNLM All of Us Community Engagement Network (NAPC) Community Award grants<https://allofus.nnlm.gov/community-award-request-proposals> for libraries and community organizations provide funding for NNLM members to design and implement programming to increase community skills in health literacy, digital literacy and/or public understanding of clinical research, build community partnerships, and promote All of Us and NNLM resources.

* Award Amount: $30,000
* Number of Awards Available: 5
* Application Deadline: August 26, 2022
* Questions? Email LIB-NAPCengage at uiowa.edu<mailto:LIB-NAPCengage at uiowa.edu>

News from the National Library of Medicine (NLM) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH)

>From the NLM Director's blog: The Next Normal: Supporting Biomedical Discovery, Clinical Practice, and Self-Care<https://nlmdirector.nlm.nih.gov/2022/06/29/the-next-normal-supporting-biomedical-discovery-clinical-practice-and-self-care/>

NLM's History of Medicine: Making a Case for Comic Books in the Classroom<https://circulatingnow.nlm.nih.gov/2022/06/30/making-a-case-for-comic-books-in-the-classroom/>
NLM welcomes 2022-2023 Associate Fellows<https://www.nlm.nih.gov/news/NLM_2022_2023_Associate_Fellows.html>
Introducing NLM's new NCBI Datasets genome page!<https://ncbiinsights.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2022/06/29/new-datasets-genome-page/>
The July issue of NIH News in Health<https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2022/07> includes information about edema and having a healthy pregnancy later in life.
Feelings of Detachment After Trauma May Signal Worse Mental Health Outcomes<https://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/research-highlights/2022/feelings-of-detachment-after-trauma-may-signal-worse-mental-health-outcomes>
National Institute on Aging provides a shareable infographic with tips to stay safe in hot weather<https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/infographics/staying-safe-hot-weather>
NIH-funded project offers efficient approach when tracking SARS-CoV-2 variants<https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-funded-project-offers-efficient-approach-when-tracking-sars-cov-2-variants>

Resource Spotlight
988 Lifeline Transition - Partner Toolkit and Jobs Web Page
The U.S. is getting close to the July 16 transition to 988 - the easy-to-remember number to reach the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. To help our partners communicate about 988, SAMHSA has added downloadable print files for wallet cards, magnets, and posters to its 988 Partner Toolkit<https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/988/partner-toolkit> with items in English and Spanish. SAMHSA is also working to make the print materials available for ordering from the SAMHSA store and will be adding social media shareables by mid-July about the basics of 988. One of the most urgent needs involves staffing at crisis centers. Anyone interested in serving in these critical positions is encouraged to visit the 988 jobs web page<https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/988/jobs>.
COVID-19 Vaccines for Children and Teens
CDC recommends COVID-19 vaccines for everyone 6 months and older<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/children-teens.html> and boosters for everyone 5 years and older, if eligible. Use CDC's COVID-19 booster tool<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html#when-you-can-get-booster> to learn if and when your child or teen can get boosters to stay up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines. Find vaccines near you<https://www.vaccines.gov/>.
Preserving Your Garden's Produce
Whether you're a new or seasoned gardener you may be wondering how to preserve some of the extra produce. The National Center for Home Food Preservation<https://nchfp.uga.edu/#gsc.tab=0> website helps you can, freeze, ferment, dry and more so you can enjoy the bounty all year long.
OVERDUE: Weeding Out Oppression in Libraries
The Oregon Library Association's Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Antiracism (EDIA) Committee has a new podcast<https://www.buzzsprout.com/1948067> which shines a light on the radical inequities and the oppressive nature of the library profession, specifically as it pertains to BIPOC professionals and the communities they serve in the state of Oregon but those who live and work outside of Oregon will find the podcast relevant.
REALM releases project insights on public health crises
The REALM project recently hosted a series of three online forums<https://www.oclc.org/realm/resources/forum-summaries.html> that gathered representatives from archives, libraries, and museums, as well as local, state, and national organizations and the public health sector. The participants shared their experiences and insights gained from the COVID-19 pandemic to help inform future initiatives and projects that can bolster capacity and resilience of cultural heritage institutions. Summaries of all three forums<https://www.oclc.org/realm/resources/forum-summaries.html> are now available.

Network of the National Library of Medicine, Region 5 (Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States in the Pacific)
University of Washington Health Sciences Library, Seattle, WA
https://nnlm.gov/ | nnlm at uw.edu<mailto:nnlm at uw.edu> | 206-543-8262

Region 5 Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/nnlmregion5>
Region 5 Twitter<https://twitter.com/nnlmregion5>
Region 5 Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/nnlmregion5/>