[domweek] DOM Week, April 17-21, 2023

Department of Medicine weekly newsletter domweek at u.washington.edu
Fri Apr 14 16:44:12 PDT 2023

[cid:image029.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]

DOM Week
April 14, 2023
News, information, and events of interest from the Department of Medicine <http://bit.ly/1TemKEY>

(If you have items for DOM week, please email amyf at uw.edu<mailto:amyf at uw.edu>)

Staff news
[cid:image030.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]Czarina Francisco has accepted a position in the School of Medicine on vice dean Julie Reid's administrative team as of May 16, 2023. Czarina joined the department in 2014 as director of finance, and was promoted to CFO in 2018.

She has led the department through many changes and transitions, including the transition to Workday HRP, co-directing the department (2020-2021), and launching the Division of Emergency Medicine as a department, among many other major milestones in the last 8.5 years. She has contributed immensely to department finance strategy, built a strong team, developed new systems and processes, and has recently been instrumental in our representation in UWFT, with the new financial system launching this July.

We thank Czarina for her nearly 9 years in the Department of Medicine and wish her well in her next steps.
________________________________

NED conference
Save the date for the ITHS Research Coordinator Networking to Enhance Development (NED) Conference on May 18. This is an annual professional development conference for research coordinators. Participants expand their knowledge and skills and get a chance to develop contacts, share ideas, and learn from peers. The NED Conference is organized by the Institute of Translational Health Sciences and is a collaboration between the University of Washington, Fred Hutch, and Seattle Children's and offered at no cost to participants. To learn more and register, please visit the ITHS website<https://bit.ly/3KMHUPB>.

Faculty news
[cid:image031.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]Dr. Fuki Hisama, professor (Medical Genetics) has been elected to serve on the Board of Directors of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG) for a six-year term. The ACMG is the largest professional organization in the U.S. for health care providers specializing in medical genetics. Dr. Hisama is nationally recognized as a leader in the field of medical genetics practice and education. She has served on the board of directors of the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ABMGG), the Program Committee of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics, and the Medical Genetics Residency Review Committee of the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education.
________________________________

[cid:image032.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]Dr. Santiago Neme, clinical associate professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) has accepted the position of UWMC Medical Director. Dr. Neme has demonstrated progressive outstanding leadership for many years at UW Medicine, first at Northwest Hospital and then as part of the executive leadership team for the integrated UWMC - Montlake and Northwest campuses. He currently serves as Senior Associate Medical Director for UWMC, Medical Director for UWMC-NW, and Vice President of UW Physicians.

A champion of equity, diversity, and inclusion, he believes in empowering patients as informed patients are better equipped to make decisions. With the emergence of resistant organisms, resurgence of life-threatening infections, advances in HIV prevention and treatment and highly effective hepatitis C treatments, he is passionate about infectious diseases and patient care.

He takes the helm from Dr. Thomas Staiger, who has been medical director since 2009.

Research news
Going long: Viruses linger with lasting impact
[cid:image033.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]Herpes, HIV, Epstein-Barr and other viruses hang around, causing potential long-term health woes. Should 'long COVID' surprise us? Millions of Americans infected by SARS-CoV-2, are now dealing with its post-acute sequelae, or PASC, mostly known as long COVID, the latest long-term condition to stem from a virus. "We're beginning to realize increasingly the long-term impacts of viruses, the infections that they cause and the damage that our immune system can wreak on us as a result of those infections," said Dr. Jim Boonyaratanakornkit, acting assistant professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases).

[cid:image034.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]According to Dr. Rachel Bender Ignacio, assistant professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) most clinicians divvy viruses into two camps: persistent and transient. Transient viruses, she said, are here and gone. Examples include influenza, cold viruses and hepatitis A. Persistent viruses hang around. "We have clear evidence in the research setting that people don't have a normal immune system after or during long COVID," she said. "We may not have an answer as to how to help them, but the time is long over that people should be dismissive of long COVID."

[cid:image035.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]"These infections can set off a pathway toward autoimmunity and other complications. It depends on the illness and the severity of the illness on whether it lingers or there's ongoing issues," says Dr. Steven Pergam, associate professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases). Some of it is related to our immunity and how we respond to organisms. And some of it is the pathogen itself.

Read the full story from Hutch News<https://bit.ly/3mqFuNl>.

________________________________

[cid:image036.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]Drs. Heidi Crane, professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases), Geetanjali Chander, professor and head (General Internal Medicine), Joseph Chris Delaney (Epidemiology), and Lydia Drumright (Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Informatics), have received a new U24 grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) for $5 million over 5 years to serve as a coordinating center for 9 NIDA-funded HIV cohort studies.

The purpose of the HIV and Substance Use Cohort Coordinating Center for Emerging and High Impact Scientific Cross Cohort Studies: HIV SUCCESS is to support NIDA-funded cohorts as they implement research strategies to better understand and address substance use and its consequences among people with HIV.

Additional investigators include Mari Kitahata, William Lober, Judith Tsui, Rob Fredericksen, Andrew Hahn, Adrienne Shapiro, Bridget Whitney, and Robin Nance.

________________________________

[cid:image037.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80]A new study conducted by Dr. Graham Nichol, professor (General Internal Medicine) will look to improve how quickly a heart attack is identified and treated. Emergency medicine doctors, cardiologists, and nurses have started a proof-of-concept study to look at the feasibility of using a novel bloodless troponin sensor with patients transported to Harborview Medical Center's Emergency Department after resuscitation from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.

Read the full story from UW Medicine Newsroom<https://bit.ly/3Uwp82c>.

________________________________

New library resources for researchers
The UW Health Sciences Library has announced a new institutional license for Covidence<https://bit.ly/3zSFmJs>, a popular online platform for evidence synthesis projects including systematic reviews, meta-analyses, and more. This new license is available to all UW faculty, staff, and students and is made possible in partnership with the UW Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Social Work.

>From April 24-27 the UW Libraries is offering Research Data Management Planning<https://bit.ly/3mubOin>, an asynchronous online workshop for UW community members engaged in research with data. Topics will include getting started with data management planning, funder requirements for data sharing, metadata, tips to help keep you organized, sharing, archiving and preservation, and an introduction to tools and on-campus support to aid researchers.

*Addition to last week: Dr. Duncan Reid, clinical instructor (General Internal Medicine) also received a Spring HMC Cares Award.

Recent publications
Dr. Tara Babu, acting assistant professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is co-author of "Immunogenicity of the BA.1 and BA.4/BA.5 SARS-CoV-2 Bivalent Boosts: Preliminary Results from the COVAIL Randomized Clinical Trial<https://bit.ly/40avm98>" in Clinical Infectious Diseases.

Dr. Maralyssa Bann, assistant professor (General Internal Medicine) is co-author of "From Battles to Burnout: Investigating the role of interphysician conflict in physician burnout<https://bit.ly/3musypB>" in Academic Medicine.

Jai Broome, Dr. Bruce Psaty, Kerry Wiggins, Joshua Bis, Jennifer Brody, Dr. Barbara Konkle and Dr. Jill Johnsen are co-authors of "Aberrant activation of TCL1A promotes stem cell expansion in clonal haematopoiesis<https://go.nature.com/3KzYaCf>" in Nature.

Dr. Joey Chiang, R1, is co-author of "Population-Level Health Effects of Involuntary Displacement of People Experiencing Unsheltered Homelessness Who Inject Drugs in US Cities<https://bit.ly/43pvV1V>" in JAMA.

Dr. Julia Dombrowski, associate professor, is lead author and Dr. Matthew Golden, professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is senior author of "Implementation of Low-Barrier HIV Care: Lessons Learned from the Max Clinic in Seattle<https://bit.ly/3Kzrhps>" in Clinical Infectious Diseases. DOM co-author is Meena Ramchandani.

Matthew Hulverson, research scientist, is lead author and Dr. Kayode Ojo, research associate professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is senior author of "Identification of Fungus-Derived Natural Products as New Antigiardial Scaffolds<https://bit.ly/418oESj>" in Microbiology Spectrum. DOM co-authors are Ryan Choi and Wesley Van Voorhis.

Dr. Sioban Keel, associate professor (Hematology) is co-author of "RNA interference therapy in Acute Hepatic Porphyrias<https://bit.ly/409bq6F>" in Blood.

Dr. H. Nina Kim, professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is author of the editorial, "Examining the Hepatitis B Care Cascade through an Equity Lens<https://bit.ly/41jVH5R>" in JAMA Network Open.

Dr. Brian Reid, professor emeritus (Gastroenterology) is co-author of "Extrachromosomal DNA in the cancerous transformation of Barrett's oesophagus<https://go.nature.com/416yUdM>" in Nature.

Dr. Robin Stiller, fellow (Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine) is lead author and Dr. Tyler Albert, associate professor (General Internal Medicine) is senior author of "Responsibilities of Internal Medicine Chief Residents in the Modern Era: A National Survey<https://bit.ly/3mt0key>" in ATS Scholar. DOM co-authors are Gabrielle Berger, Başak Çoruh, and Paul Cornia.

Dr. Eugene Yang, clinical professor (Cardiology) is co-author of "Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Women: The Impact of Race and Ethnicity: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association<https://bit.ly/3MzDVqY>" in Circulation.

In the news
Dr. Anthony Back, professor (Medical Oncology) is quoted in "Here's a new data point for cancer patients to consider: 'time toxicity'<https://bit.ly/40WOusp>" in STAT.

Dr. Corey Casper, professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is quoted in "Tuberculosis kills over a million people a year. New breakthroughs may help humanity fight back<https://bit.ly/43oTJ5J>." in Freethink.

Dr. Christopher Damman, clinical associate professor (Gastroenterology) is the author of "Hangry bacteria in your gut microbiome are linked to chronic disease - feeding them what they need could lead to happier cells and a healthier body<https://bit.ly/3zTvsaE>" in The Conversation.

Dr. Ellora Karmarkar, fellow (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is quoted in "Deadly fungus spreading in U.S. with approximately 60% mortality<https://bit.ly/3AbCp7f>" in MyNorthwest.

Dr. Ryan Murphy, acting instructor (Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine) is quoted in "Will Seattle see shortage of liquid albuterol for nebulizers?<https://bit.ly/3KAA0HV>" from UW Medicine Newsroom.

Weekly Calendar, April 17-21, 2023
Our events calendar is posted on our website<https://medicine.uw.edu/news/trumba-calendar>.

Coming up
Molecular Medicine & Mechanisms of Disease Seminar Series
This seminar series is open to all interested individuals. This year the topic will be "Challenges in Cancer Immunotherapy", with lectures by Drs. Aude Chapuis, Nora Disis, Tina Albertson, Stan Riddell, and Damian Green. Seminars will take place April 5-May 3 on Wednesdays at FHCC. For the complete schedule and more information please visit our website<https://medicine.uw.edu/education/m3d-phd-program#seminar-series>. Any questions, please contact Faith Wall<mailto:fwall at fredhutch.org>.

Clinical Cardiology Pearls for Primary Care
This course is tailored for a primary care audience and is intended to provide practical, up-to-date information on commonly encountered cardiovascular diseases. Recent guidelines for hypertension, cholesterol management, primary prevention of heart disease, and heart failure will be reviewed. April 28. To learn more and register for the event, please visit the CME website<https://bit.ly/3Z4m7XJ>.

Faculty Development Series
All DOM faculty are invited to join the GIM Faculty Development seminar series, 1-2pm, via zoom<https://washington.zoom.us/j/96022648263>.

* May 5 - "How to make an effective ask," with Lauge Sokol-Hessner
* June 2 - "Using goals and values to find professional satisfaction," with Lauren Beste"

Eli Estey symposium on the pathogenesis and therapy of AML
A scientific symposium honoring Dr. Eli Estey's many contributions to leukemia research and care will be held at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center on May 19, 9am to 5:30pm with state-of-the-art talks by esteemed AML colleagues. For more information and to register, please visit the Hematology website<https://hematology.uw.edu/news/aml-pathogenesis-and-therapy-scientific-symposium-honor-dr-eli-estey>.

[cid:image038.png at 01D96EF0.55216A80]Gender Equity Lunch Series: Shared mental model for family support
The next Gender Equity Lunch Series is on May 25, 12-1pm. The Family Support Committee of the DOM Gender Equity Council is charged with identifying department needs and seeking solutions related to supporting employees with families.

In early 2022 they conducted five focus group interviews consisting of staff, faculty, and APPs to understand the barriers to supporting employees with families and to explore what an ideal model of support for DOM faculty, staff, and trainees with families might look like.

At the upcoming lunch series, they will discuss this study's results and continue a dialogue about how we might enhance the support of people with families within DOM.

Amy Fields, Editor
amyf at uw.edu<mailto:amyf at uw.edu>

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CF4461.CA7ADDC0]<http://www.facebook.com/UWDeptMedicine> <http://www.youtube.com/> [YouTube_Logo_svg.png] <http://www.youtube.com/uwdeptmedicine> [cid:image042.jpg at 01D96EF0.55216A80] <https://twitter.com/UWDeptMedicine>

To subscribe/unsubscribe from this list, go to: