[domweek] DOM Week, September 12-16, 2022

Department of Medicine weekly newsletter domweek at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 9 16:08:25 PDT 2022

[cid:image026.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30]

DOM Week
September 9, 2022
News, information, and events of interest from the Department of Medicine <http://bit.ly/1TemKEY>

(If you have items for DOM week, please email amyf at uw.edu<mailto:amyf at uw.edu>)

Reconnection events
A crucial component of the DOM's recently developed strategic plan is to assess and develop strong support for employee well-being. A dedicated workgroup composed of both staff and faculty has been established to lead the department's efforts, and our strategy to address well-being and burnout will include: continuing to identify and address toxic workplace behaviors; improve diversity and inclusivity; provide professional development opportunities for staff and faculty; train current and aspiring leaders to support well-being; and promote social connection.

For our first initiative, we have received seed funding to support and promote reconnection events<https://medicine.uw.edu/about/well-being/reconnection> in the DOM, as a way to foster community building and colleague connections.

Please visit our website<https://medicine.uw.edu/about/well-being> to learn more about our work and initiatives in this area.

Awards
2022 Seattle Met's Top Doctors
[image004.jpg at 01D7A65B]Congratulations to those who made the Seattle Met's Top Doctors, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants list<https://bit.ly/2X1pAw0> this year:

Rosemary Adamson, Matthew Altman, Drew Ayars, Jenn Azen, Katherine Bennett, Pooja Bhattacharyya, Peter Byers, Lauren Carpenter, E. Gabriela Chiorean, Stacey Cohen, Roy Colven, Jason Comer, Paul Cornia, Andrew Coveler, Anthony DeSantis, Shireesha Dhanireddy, Marianne Dubard-Gault, R. Alan Failor, Cora Fix, Gregory Gardner, Claire Grigsby, Matt Guindon, Jason Harper, William Harris, Leah Haseley, Ken He, Irl Hirsch, Fuki Hisama, Gail Jarvik, Andrea Kalus, Patricia Kritek, Jared Klein, Eric Krieger, Anna Lang, Joanne Lang, Scott Lee, Andrew Lin, Andrew Luks, John Lynch, James McCabe, Wayne McCormick, Megan McGuire, Joseph Merrill, Alec Moorman, Paul Nghiem, Thuan Ong, Darrell Owens, Grady Paden, Brian Palen, Elizabeth Parsons, Catherine Patterson, Steven Pergam, Paul Pottinger, May Reed, Leah Roess, Jenny Roraback-Carson, Mara Roth, Michael Saunders, John Sheffield, Michi Shinohara, Anand Singla, Matthew Smith, Heather Smith, Lisa So, Karen Stout, Lisa Strate, Adam Templeton, Michelle Trager, Melissa Winckler, Eugene Yang, Leah Yoke.

EDI news
New Associate Chair for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
[cid:image028.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30]Dr. David Horne, associate professor (Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine) has been selected as our new Associate Chair for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, effective Nov. 16.

In this role, he will provide leadership and guidance on initiatives to further the department's efforts to directly confront bias and racism at the individual program, departmental and systemic levels through innovative programs and policies in support of all divisions and programs, as well as in our partnership with local, regional and global partners and communities that we serve.

He will play a key role in development of our strategic plan around DEI, and lead both short- and long-term planning and development of DEI programs to grow and sustain an equitable and inclusive working and learning environment for students, trainees, faculty and staff.

"Dr. Horne combines lived and professional experiences with a passion and strong commitment to DEI work," said Department Chair Dr. Barbara Jung. "I'm excited to partner with him to move our department forward."

Thank you to search committee chair, Dr. Fuki Hisama, and the entire search committee for their efforts, and to Dr. Dan Cabrera, who has served as interim associate chair for DEI since 2021.

Faculty news
Faculty spotlight: Joanne Stekler
[cid:image029.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30]Dr. Joanne Stekler, professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) came to Seattle in 1997 for residency and joined the Division of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in 2000. She provides care and preventive services for patients living with and at risk for HIV, providing HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in the community clinic she started in 2013 (the first in the country to provide PrEP via telemedicine back in 2015.) "I've been able to share in the lives of people who thought they'd never grow old. I've seen the medicines become so effective that helping people living with HIV get on treatment can prevent the transmission of HIV to anyone else."

In January 2021, she started a food blog, Ugly Duckling Bakery<https://uglyducklingbakery.com/> . "Blogging has given me new ways to connect with people," she says. "I get to teach people things they may not know about cooking and baking. And, just like with medicine, I've been both mentor and mentee to other food bloggers."

Learn more about Dr. Stekler in The Huddle<https://bit.ly/3qg029H>.

Research News
Expanding immune therapy targets
A transformative $78M gift to establish the Stuart and Molly Sloan Precision Oncology Institute - the largest single gift in Fred Hutch's 47 year history - will accelerate center's leadership in the future of cancer research. It will also help more researchers capitalize on the deep knowledge of the immune system and immunotherapy.

"Fred Hutch has this incredible history in immunotherapy, and now we're committing and deepening our background and track record in precision oncology to bring these two areas together," said Dr. Thomas Lynch, president and director of Fred Hutch.

Fred Hutch pulmonologist Dr. Viswam Nair, who joined the center a few years ago, agrees. "I came here to learn about immunology and apply that to my research," he said. "I think about the Hutch not only as a cancer center, but as an infectious disease center. Not a lot of cancer centers have that dual mission. Because now immunology is the forefront of tumor treatment, we're uniquely positioned."

There's a lot of potential to make immunotherapy more personalized, said Hutch pulmonologist Dr. McGarry Houghton, who studies lung cancer and leads the center's Lung SPORE. Houghton also studies the role of the immune system in cancer. "What we're trying to get at is how you would use immune therapies to target individual cancers," he said. For the most part, immunotherapies currently on the market don't take into account unique mutations.

Read the full story from Hutch News<https://bit.ly/3Rw80Yf>.
________________________________

Jumpstart: Communication priming intervention
[cid:image030.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30]Drs. Erin Kross, associate professor, and J. Randall Curtis, professor (Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine) are dual principal investigators for a new 5-year, $7 million R01 award from National Institute on Aging, for their study, "Hybrid efficacy-effectiveness trial to promote goals-of-care discussions for patients with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias and their family caregivers."

The study is a large pragmatic trial of a communication-priming intervention, called Jumpstart, to increase the occurrence and quality of goals-of-care discussions with patients with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias and their family caregivers. The study will be conducted in primary and specialty clinics across UW Medicine to facilitate communication and receipt of medical care consistent with patients' goals. The study is being conducted in collaboration with the UW Alzheimer's Dementia Research Center and the UW Memory and Brain Wellness Center.

This award builds on prior work of the Jumpstart program, which has been studied in both inpatient and outpatient settings across UW Medicine, and incorporates adaptations to Jumpstart specific to patients living with dementia and their caregivers.

DOM contributors: Ruth Engelberg, Barak Gaster, and Rashmi Sharma.
________________________________

Using nanotechnology and AI to diagnose TB in children
[cid:image031.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30]A technique that combines nanotechnology with artificial intelligence can diagnose tuberculosis in children in whom the deadly disease might otherwise go undetected, an international team of researchers report.

TB is the second most common cause of infectious disease death worldwide. It was only recently pushed out of first place by SARS-CoV-2, the virus behind COVID-19. Each year more than 10 million people become sick with TB, and TB kills more than 1.5 million.

The disease is particularly deadly in young children, especially those already infected with HIV, the virus that can lead to AIDS. Of the quarter of a million children younger than 15 years of age who die from TB each year, more than 80% are younger than 5. In almost all these cases, roughly 96%, the youngsters had not been diagnosed.

"This is a tragedy because when children are diagnosed and treated, they do well," said Dr. Sylvia LaCourse, assistant professor of medicine (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) and of global health, and lead of the clinical part of the study. "But we have to find them first."

Read the full story from UW Medicine Newsroom<https://bit.ly/3Rxy3hC>.

Recent publications
Dr. Eric Chow, assistant professor, is lead author, and Dr. Helen Chu, associate professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is senior author of "The clinical and genomic epidemiology of seasonal human coronaviruses in congregate homeless shelter settings: A repeated cross-sectional study<https://bit.ly/3TOHL0L>" in The Lancet Regional Health-Americas. DOM co-authors are Amanda Casto, Sarah Cox, Caitlin Wolf, Jeffrey Duchin, and Nancy Sugg.

Dr. Heidi Crane, professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is co-author of "Effect of adopting the new race-free 2021 CKD-EPI eGFR creatinine equation on racial differences in kidney disease progression among people with HIV; an observational study<https://bit.ly/3RLXlbp>" in Clinical Infectious Diseases.

Drs. Julie Dombrowski, Heidi Crane and Mari Kitahata (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) are co-authors of "Syphilis Testing and Diagnosis Among People With Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Engaged in Care at 4 US Clinical Sites, 2014-2018<https://bit.ly/3BnLBGU>" in Clinical Infectious Diseases.

Dr. George Ioannou, professor (Gastroenterology) is senior author of "Moving Away From a One-Size-Fits-All Approach to Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance<https://bit.ly/3xaRqVz>" in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.

Dr. Scott Ramsey, professor (General Internal Medicine) is lead author of "Economic Analysis of Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment Technologies for Cancer: Reflections and a Roadmap for Prospective Authors<https://bit.ly/3RQLVDd>" in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

In the news
Dr. Alwiya Ahmed, R3, is quoted in "More Black People Eligible for Lung Cancer Screening Under New Guidelines<https://bit.ly/3L0Za26>" in Real Health.

Dr. Helen Chu, associate professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is quoted in "The Strongest Signal That Americans Should Worry About Flu This Winter<https://bit.ly/3DahTX6>" in The Atlantic.

Dr. Seth Cohen, clinical associate professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) is quoted in "Fall boosters coming soon - now what? UW doctor answers FAQs<https://bit.ly/3x33ZT0>" in My Northwest.

Dr. Shireesha Dhanireddy, professor (Allergy and Infectious Diseases) talked to KUOW in "Coming soon: an Omicron booster<https://bit.ly/3Qu178z>."

Dr. Ruchi Kapoor, clinical assistant professor (Cardiology) is quoted in "Heart attack portrayals in TV and movies can be bad for your health<https://bit.ly/3Qm4uOK>" from KIRO News Radio.

Dr. Catherine Otto, professor (Cardiology) is quoted in "AI-Assisted Reading of Echocardiograms Readily Detects Severe Aortic Stenosis<https://wb.md/3Rk7g8h>" in Medscape.

Dr. Stephanie Page, professor and head (Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition) is quoted in "Male birth control? UW seeking couples for study<https://bit.ly/3B3fdYz>" from KIRO News.

Events of interest
Medicine Grand Rounds
Dr. Scott Hagen (General Internal Medicine) will present "A Weight-Skeptical Approach to the Care of Patients with Obesity" at Medicine Grand Rounds on Friday, Sept. 16, 2022,12-1pm, via zoom<https://washington.zoom.us/j/812197730>.

Weekly Calendar, September 12-16, 2022
Our events calendar is posted on our website<https://medicine.uw.edu/news/trumba-calendar>.

Coming up
[cid:image032.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30]Gender Equity Lunch Series: Equality and reproductive rights
Department Chair Dr. Barbara Jung and Dr. Amy Baernstein (General Internal Medicine) will moderate a discussion about equality and reproductive rights - the history, and where we go from here. We have worked with UW Libraries to provide access to view The Janes<https://digitalcampus.swankmp.net/uwashington303229/watch/09A9E7F2217CD443?referrer=direct>, a documentary about a secret abortion service network established by women in the seventies. The network used a series of code names and safe houses to provide women in need with illegal abortions during a time when abortions were banned by the state and church. Sept. 23, 12-1pm, via zoom<https://washington.zoom.us/j/99429800256> (meeting ID: 994 2980 0256). Please RSVP<https://forms.office.com/r/SRWKKrE1fi>.
________________________________

Unequal Treatment in Cardiovascular Care: Evidence for Racial Bias and the Way Forward
[cid:image033.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30]The Department of Medicine is proud to partner with the Institute for Common Power to sponsor a lecture by Dr. Quinn Capers from UT Southwestern. Dr. Capers will review current evidence and studies from the recent past detailing Black-White disparities in cardiac care, and strategies to reduce or eliminate racial disparities in care. Please join us<https://bit.ly/3efmFIE> on Tuesday, Oct. 11, 12-1:30pm PST.

A Q&A with Department Chair Dr. Barbara Jung and Common Power Director Dr. Terry Scott will follow to discuss how we engage in EDI goals and objectives, increase engagement, and move initiatives forward. Learn more on our news site<https://bit.ly/3AyHgyR>.

Gender Equity Lunch Series: Gender and the Electronic Health Record workload
[cid:image034.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30]Special guest moderator, Dr. Eve Rittenberg, Harvard Medical Center, will discuss gender and the EHR workload, and her article "Primary Care Physician Gender and Electronic Health Record Workload<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-021-07298-z>" published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine. Eve Rittenberg, MD, is an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and a primary care internist at the Fish Center for Women's Health at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Her interests include women's health, trauma-informed care, and health equity. Nov. 8, 12-1pm, via zoom<https://washington.zoom.us/j/93551236119> (meeting ID: 935 5123 6119). Please RSVP<https://forms.office.com/r/Hx5QT3HCxu>.

Amy Fields, Editor
amyf at uw.edu<mailto:amyf at uw.edu>

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CF4461.CA7ADDC0]<http://www.facebook.com/UWDeptMedicine> <http://www.youtube.com/> [YouTube_Logo_svg.png] <http://www.youtube.com/uwdeptmedicine> [cid:image037.jpg at 01D8C466.62669D30] <https://twitter.com/UWDeptMedicine>

To subscribe/unsubscribe from this list, go to: